How can I push captured rain water through my Reverse Osmosis machine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Working on some morning coffee thoughts... This one is more along the lines of the old engineer in me solving a problem, not so much being green (I'm already off the water grid with a water well, solar set up in the next few years, so I'm green in other places :p).

I want to capture rain water, and push it through my RO system. How can I do this? Is it as simple as getting an immersion pump, throttle back the throughput until the proper PSI is reached and then rig it to my RO intake? (This is what makes sense to me...) But I fear the dirty water pump will not generate enough PSI ( I recall needing 35 psi to make RO/DI water... I'll have to check the manufacture's website for the exact number).

So what's the fix here? How do I get 35 psi out of a rain barrel?
:tank:

Thank you

I'd use an old sanke keg and a co2 tank or air compressor. You'd be able to dial in any pressure you want.

Ah! I do have a 3 gallon air compressor up to 100psi... I guess now I just have to research rigging a compressor disconnect to a ball lock valve, thanks!

You can also use a bicycle pump on the hose barb of a ball lock gas disconnect. That is what I use to push sanitizer through my kegs out post.

I've thought about making a rainwater beer, myself. But more to experience the different mineral makeup of the water, rather than just utilizing a free source of water. My plans were to run it through a Burkey filter to make it safe, and then brew. Running it through RO filtration would defeat my purpose.

So, yeah, I had nothing useful to add, but I like the way you think.

On second thought, chilling and cleaning are the biggest water wasters in brewing, so utilizing rainwater for that may be useful, too.

I've thought about making a rainwater beer, myself. But more to experience the different mineral makeup of the water, rather than just utilizing a free source of water. My plans were to run it through a Burkey filter to make it safe, and then brew. Running it through RO filtration would defeat my purpose.

So, yeah, I had nothing useful to add, but I like the way you think.

On second thought, chilling and cleaning are the biggest water wasters in brewing, so utilizing rainwater for that may be useful, too.

I COULD detach a certain filter to keep some ions in the water (20ppm). I would have to make sure this wouldn't affect the level of bacterial removal (99.9% removed when all stages intact). But you're right, this is a novelty, and a lot of work just to say "this beer was made using rain water/snow melt." But that's a beauty of home brewing. :).

Unless you want to remove all the flavor from the water I wouldn't worry about running it through the RO system. The water is going to be boiled for an hour it will be safe to drink. I might run it through a filter to remove any particulates.

I have a similar plan, but it involves river water. My question was always how to filter out sediment, but keep mineral content. I personally agree with bschot on the bacteria. You will be boiling so there is no concern there.

I have a similar plan, but it involves river water. My question was always how to filter out sediment, but keep mineral content. I personally agree with bschot on the bacteria. You will be boiling so there is no concern there.

With sediment, you can just have it sit in its container for a few hours if not a day or two and most of the heavy stuff should sit. Then push it through this guy:

http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=110&products_id=542

5 micron PP
sediment filter
to remove dirt, sediment, rust and sand particles
6~12 months

5 micron coconut
carbon block filter
to remove chlorine, chloramine, odor and chemicals
6~12 months

5 micron coconut
carbon block filter
to remove remaining chemicals, pesticides
6~12 months

in-line granular activated
carbon filter
to make water taste better with sweetness
6-12 months

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462075943.376519.jpg

Ah! I do have a 3 gallon air compressor up to 100psi... I guess now I just have to research rigging a compressor disconnect to a ball lock valve, thanks!

Not sure I would push brewing water with a standard air compressor. Afaik a standard compressor does not push clean air, perhaps a bit oily due to the compressor seals...idk.

Not sure I would push brewing water with a standard air compressor. Afaik a standard compressor does not push clean air, perhaps a bit oily due to the compressor seals...idk.

Good point, but if the end result is ro/di would it matter? Hmmm

Use a clear water pump to pump through the osmosis filter. You'll also need a collection tank for the filtered water and a drain as well.

If you've never used ro filters, there is a lot of waste water generated (reason why you need a drain) and it can take some time to collect 5-12 gallons of water as the process is very slow. Then you'll need a way to get water out of the collection tank. Most ro collection tanks have a pressure bladder in them to push the water out.

Working on some morning coffee thoughts... This one is more along the lines of the old engineer in me solving a problem, not so much being green (I'm already off the water grid with a water well, solar set up in the next few years, so I'm green in other places :p).

I want to capture rain water, and push it through my RO system. How can I do this? Is it as simple as getting an immersion pump, throttle back the throughput until the proper PSI is reached and then rig it to my RO intake? (This is what makes sense to me...) But I fear the dirty water pump will not generate enough PSI ( I recall needing 35 psi to make RO/DI water... I'll have to check the manufacture's website for the exact number).

So what's the fix here? How do I get 35 psi out of a rain barrel?
:tank:

Thank you

I did something almost exactly like this. I bought a large Brute garbage can and a whole-house booster supply pump from Harbor Freight. They are connected together with some plumbing and fittings I got at home depot. The pump regulates the output pressure to 60psi. I think the pump cost me about $100.

I use it to mix chlorine, salt, and tsp then spray my roof for cleaning. I have a concrete tile roof, and I do this instead of climbing up there and pressure cleaning. I have a hose and spray nozzle on the output of the pump.

Here's a link to what I bought, but it looks totally unavailable anywhere now. It's probably overkill for you anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3G81V6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would any one make a shallow well pump that is not for use with potable water and why would anyone use it

Use a clear water pump to pump through the osmosis filter. You'll also need a collection tank for the filtered water and a drain as well.

If you've never used ro filters, there is a lot of waste water generated (reason why you need a drain) and it can take some time to collect 5-12 gallons of water as the process is very slow. Then you'll need a way to get water out of the collection tank. Most ro collection tanks have a pressure bladder in them to push the water out.

I've got a 100gpd that hooks up to any 3/4" outlet and I can make enough ro water for a 10 all grain batch the morning of brew day. This is why I'm focused on slipping rain water through the system, I'm very happy with the results! Typically I use ro water to cut my ground water's profile (yay Ward Labs) and then build up from there.

I use 5 gal square food grade plastic container to collect to water and a big drum for waste water (which the plants get)

*cheers*

Why would any one make a shallow well pump that is not for use with potable water and why would anyone use it

Exactly!!!

It looks like if I want to avoid the air compressor, the secret is to use an RV inline pump. I'm 99% sure this is the way to go: 1) great psi, 2)built for potable water, 3) available everywhere 4) under $100!

Where I work, we use this vaseline type grease on our safety switches. The grease comes in 55 gallon barrels. The barrels are lined, so once the liner is pulled the barrel is basically brand new.

It is your typical steel barrel. If that is used as a rainwater collector, could you use the collected water to brew? I thought about making some sort of cooling tank out of it. I can't remember where I read it, but I think we waste as much as 20 gallons of water to chill 5 gallons of wort. I thought about using mine with my sump pump and recirculated chilled water through my IC to save wasting so much out of the tap.

For the "rainwater beer" I even thought about setting one of my kettles outside to collect about 10-15 gallons of rain water, transfer it to one of my spare 5 gallon water jugs and use that water for brew day just to see how the beer would turn out.

I concur with the shallow well pump, or if you look at RO system suppliers (coming from my past hobby life of marine aquariums) you'll find they sell booster pumps to get optimal pressure on RO systems. I would set the barrel up a few feet above the booster pump and just use it to push to the RO. I'd recommend a staged RO setup. You will basically RO filter the waste water from the first membrane as to pull off more filtered product and reduce waste. I used to run this way for my salt water tank.

Also think about making a second tank or cistern to take the wastewater. You can then use it for and ice bath for chilling with a simple immersion pump.

Assuming you're talking about a residential scale RO system, use a simple booster pump. As long as your membrane is 150 gpd or less, an Aquatec 8800 would be my choice from 51 to 150 gpd, and an Aquatec 6800 would be my choice for an RO system up to 50 gpd.

Russ

Maybe there's a reason why it's not been mentioned, but....

Could you build some sort of stand to elevate the rain barrel to where you could just let gravity push it through for you?

Maybe there's a reason why it's not been mentioned, but....

Could you build some sort of stand to elevate the rain barrel to where you could just let gravity push it through for you?

There's a specific pressure needed for psi to get zero ppm out of the RO machine, plus the rain barrel will be outside. I'm think it to be 55 gallons. I already b*tch and moan about lifting full carboys... This would take the cake!!!

There's a specific pressure needed for psi to get zero ppm out of the RO machine, plus the rain barrel will be outside. I'm think it to be 55 gallons. I already b*tch and moan about lifting full carboys... This would take the cake!!!

Yeah, if you can lift a 55 gallon barrel full of water up and onto a stand, then I'll make sure I'm the last man to piss you off about anything! :eek:

I was thinking of maybe building a stand you could leave outside, then run some pvc from it to your RO system. It would be just high enough to where gravity could push the water through to the RO setup. If gravity provides too much pressure, maybe you could use a ball valve in the plumbing to choke it back a bit. Could that work, or is it an issue where gravity can't provide enough pressure?

Back