How bad will it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Screwed up and probably spilled double the amount of lactic acid into my mash today brewing a 5.5gal witbier. I wanted it tart but not a sour... I'm guessing I might have dropped my pH to 4.8. didn't have a meter ready to check it. Just brewed it anyway, good conversion, hit 1.051. Any thoughts?

Do use any software to calculate your additiions? If so see how much baking soda you will need to bring your ph back to 5.2 where you should be mashing a Witber

Do use any software to calculate your additiions? If so see how much baking soda you will need to bring your ph back to 5.2 where you should be mashing a Witber
too late for that as I just pressed on - its in the fermenter starting to bubble through the blowoff hose... Guess I'll just taste and learn...

too late for that as I just pressed on - its in the fermenter starting to bubble through the blowoff hose... Guess I'll just taste and learn...
You can still adjust ph at anytime but you’d need to know the ph at that point

Too bad I wasn't thinking then. I guess 4 or 5 grams of baking soda in the mash would've put me right in there. Now I'm not sure what I'd do. If I take a sample from the fermenter and get a ph value, what would you suggest doing?

Back