Hot Pepper Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven_mac

Reaction score
Looking for recipe advice for making a pale ale with a kick. I'd like to use jalapeño or habanero but not sure which do use and what the grain bill should be to compliment the heat. Any ideas or recipes would be great.

I'd go with jalapeno first, and maybe try habanero down the road. Habanero is very potent pepper, which leaves very little room for error.

Personally I think I'd go with Pale Malt and Munich as the base. I like a malty backbone when brewing something with other potent flavors. Should help balance out the hotness off the peppers some.

A friend wanted a chipotle beer and I had good success with making a tincture to add the heat. Made Yooper's Stone Ruination clone and once I had it dry hopped and in the keg, I made a tincture using a half dozen de-seeded dry chipotles in about a cup of vodka. Let it sit for about five days or so, then add the liquid in 20 or 30 ml increments to the keg, add it, let it sit for a day then sample, keep adding until you get the level of heat you want. Worked very well and very controllable as opposed to trying to dry hop with the chiles or using them in the boil.

Personally I think ancho chiles work great in beers versus Jalapeño or other fresh peppers....although I have had a couple of really good mango habanero beers.....I just think the spicy raisin flavor of the ancho (and a little smokiness) work very well in a lot of beers.... Then again, I prefer dark beers (stouts, porters, brown ales, doppelbocks, etc) and sours.......

I've made pale/amber ales with jalapenos, poblanos, and serranos. My advice would be to make a low IBU standard pale or amber ale recipe, and add a couple of seeded jalapenos and a serrano to the boil, then ferment out and "dry pepper" it in the fermentor if more flavor or heat is needed. You could also make a tincture at that point. Seeds up the heat considerably. I typically get a beer with a mixture of green chile taste and moderate heat with this recipe.

Back