Hot or cold water for boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
When filling up the kettle with water for the boil, do you guys fill it with cold or hot water? The only difference between the two is that the hot water has been through the house water heater while the cold water has not. Does that cause a difference in taste or add minerals or anything like that? I don't notice that my hot water tastes any different than the cold water, but I heard that hot water can pick up weird tastes and minerals.

I never asked the question. But when I was doing extract batches I used cold water. Just for that reason. It didn't go through the water heater. I can't say if it made a difference or not. But that's what I did.

When filling up the kettle with water for the boil, do you guys fill it with cold or hot water? The only difference between the two is that the hot water has been through the house water heater while the cold water has not. Does that cause a difference in taste or add minerals or anything like that? I don't notice that my hot water tastes any different than the cold water, but I heard that hot water can pick up weird tastes and minerals.

Fill up a drinking glass with hot water and another drinking glass with cold water. Let them cool to room temp and do a taste test, that should answer your question. That all being said, a lot of us use a carbon water filter connected to a RV garden hose(white and lead free) hooked up to the house spigot

I always use cold water. A few winters ago, while brewing at a friends house, we began using hot water since we brewed in his cold garage. It definitely resulted in quicker boil times, but I could taste something off in those beers. We talked to the owner of our LHBS and he mentioned that hot water heaters often contain high deposits of minerals, especially older hot water heaters. We stopped using hot water and the off flavors disappeared. He recommended that a small portable tankless water heater would be the best option. I haven't bought one yet, don't know if I will, I just wait the extra 15 minutes and use cold water. If your water heater is new it may not pick up many minerals, but something about hot water sitting in the tank, possibly for a few hours to a day, can't be good.

If I were you I would just use cold water, you won't have to worry then.

I use hot water from a hose bib coming off the main line from my water heater. I also use beverage grade hose and a carbon filter designed for hot water. All in all I usually start my HLT @ 120F. Only takes me 15 minutes to get 6+ gal to mash in temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use hot water from a hose bib coming off the main line from my water heater. I also use beverage grade hose and a carbon filter designed for hot water. All in all I usually start my HLT @ 120F. Only takes me 15 minutes to get 6+ gal to mash in temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With this method, you're filtering some of the impurities picked up from the accumulation in the hot water heater.

If you aren't filtering, use cold water. Treat with Campden if your supplier uses chloramine.

For what it's worth, the last few batches I did this winter used hot water for the mash, comes out tap at 130, heat to strike temp and go from there.

All batches have been packaged and they are all beers I've brewed before, cannot tell any difference from those that used cold water:)

Sent from the Commune

Hot water from the tap tends to leach what mineral deposits have formed inside the pipes themselves, not to mention the deposits in the hot water heater. I would definately not use hot tap water if you house has an old iron pipe system.

Back