Hot off the grill snacks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for new snacks hot off the grill. So as I sit outside and enjoy the bonfire, I can do all the cooking on the grill. In the past I've grilled steak, sausage, chicken, shrimp, and kebabs; then cut them up into bite size pieces so people can feed themselves, (but not commit to a big steak or a full meal). What do you cook for hot off the grill snacks?

Grilled veggie kebabs are always a bit hit. Smallish whole tomatos, dwarf bell peppers, slices of summer squash, mushrooms, quartered onions, drizzle in italian dressing and grill up. Delicious!

Corn on the cob.. soak them husk and all in water for a little bit or husk and wrap in foil with butter and season. Throw them on the grill. Come out amazing. Pineapple slices. Ham steaks. My favorite is the big vegetable basket. Fill it with vegetables. Cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, onions, potato wedges (can use an apple corer to quickly prep potato) spray it all with butter or oil, season.. grill. Can even throw in sections of corn on the cob and shrimp.

Oh. Also got a bag of steamer oysters last year to try. Threw them in the veggie basket for a little while and they all opened up. Was a fun one for sure and they were relatively cheap.

Yeah, pretty much anything.

Atomic Buffalo Turds:

Jalapenos - halved
Cream cheese mixed with diced up little smokies and cheddar cheese.
Stuff the peppers with the cheese mixture and wrap with bacon.

Optional: Soak de-seeded Jalapenos in Sprite/7-up overnight to tame them.

Wings. Grilled wings are awesome, though they lend themselves to the more complex sauces rather than just Tobasco & butter.

Chicken Satay goes over pretty well, too. Most people don't even know what it is, until they try it. Then all they know is that it's delicious!

Oh, that reminds me.. I also bought a ton of chicken legs last year for some Sunday football hangouts. They are stupid cheap. Hit a bunch with oil, some with chiavettas.. then skinned the rest real quick and seasoned them a bunch of different ways. Friends destroyed them all.

Chicken Satay goes over pretty well, too. Most people don't even know what it is, until they try it. Then all they know is that it's delicious!

CBT satay (chicken, beef, tripe), ketupat pulut (steamed rice cake), and cucumber served with homemade peanut sauce is a snack that becomes a meal itself at my house.

Yumm!

Smoke up some chicken livers in the pit, then brush with some honey bbq sauce & smoke a few more minutes. Stick with toothpicks as horses doovers. I slow bbq ears of corn husks & all till husk is browned. Good roasted flavor.
Skewers of summer squash, sweet onion, big mushrooms, sweet pepper, etc in the pit is always a good one.
Bbq whole portabella caps with crab meat stuffing for sandwiches.
Smokin' up a big bag of chicken wings with your favorite sauce is always a winner.
Use a tin foil roasting pan full of shrimp, sea scallops, lobsters, ears of corn, clams, oysters, red potatoes,etc with some white wine & butter. cover with tin foil & pop it in the pit till done. Better make two, they're addictive & delicious!
* Forgot about the rice to pour the juices over after seafood is done!

Shrimp:

31/40 count, peeled and deveined

Marinate for an hour or so before cooking in:

1 C olive oil
1/2 little can of tomato paste
4 crushed garlic cloves (or more if you like)
1 tsp Kosher salt
dash hot sauce
juice of 1 lemon

Teriyaki kebabs:

Marinate 1 inch chucks of chicken breast in teriyaki sauce and put on skewers with one-inch chunks of red onion, green pepper and fresh pineapple. (Don't put the chicken right next to the pineapple, though. Use the onion or peppers as buffers between them. The pineapple has an enzyme that will make the meat weird if they're in contact.)

Google "smoke a fatty." You should probably add bbq or, better yet, bbq-brethren to the search terms or you'll get results that youre not after. :D

Something like this
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LqwKMpCqyg[/ame]

I bet bacon wrapped water chestnuts would be good on the grill (cooked over indirect heat because bacon.)

When grilling shrimp, I like to do it Bobby Flay style - marinate them in seasonings of your choice and LOTS of oil in a big metal bowl. Get the grill hot as a **** in hell, then throw the entire contents of the bowl on the grill and close the lid immediately. 1 minute later, turn off the grill if gas or open the lid if charcoal. Let sit a little longer (???) then remove from grill, peel, eat, & enjoy with beer.

~NB - do not try this with pre-peeled shrimp!!!

oysters- just enough heat for them to open up.

Fatties---naked usually stuffed with tater tots (and onions and bell peppers)

Jalepeno poppers ---bacon wrapped and stuffed with cream cheese (add some crushed pineapple for a nice addition)

Venison tenderloin --- marinade in dale's or speedy style sauce

lollipop chicken---inside out chicken drumstick

sliced pineapple or half peaches are awesome when grilled

Romaine lettuce--after grilling add homemade caesar dressing

You mean Spiedie sauce?

And yes, peaches, plums, any halved stone fruit is pretty good when grilled and so much better if it's a charcoal grill.

Chinese barbecue: fresh produce (potatoes, peppers, mushroom caps, various kinds of squash, even leafy greens can work) sliced relatively thinly (or often grilled whole for stuff like peppers) and skewered by type on thin metal or bamboo skewers, meats done the same way but cut into small (~1cm) chunks, small fish, slitted chicken wings, even chunks of hefty bread! Everything goes on the grill in its turn where it gets dabbed by a cheap basting brush with cooking oil, a bit of salt, chili powder/paprika, and ground cumin. Serve them up as they come off the grill (most stuff is ready in a couple minutes) and toss something else on to take its place. It's a fun, easy way to keep a steady stream of varied bite-sized goodies coming off the grill for a party.

My brother once made sausage stuffed, bacon wrapped Medjool dates. Man, that was good. I have to make that myself one of these days.

yum!
0ed24472-2563-4e1a-abf0-4ac7f6b9418c_zpsbkzj420e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FTR, and not saying you took it this way, but I was only curious if that's what you meant or there was another sauce. I wasn't trying to be a pedantic Adam Henry.

:)

Back