Hot Break Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneshepherd

Reaction score
This weekend I brewed a Dubbel. I based the recipe off of the one in Brewing Classic Styles, but tweaked it and increased the OG to 1.076. I had a 90 minute boil. After my initial boil and hot break, I continued to have problems with it bubbling up like the hot break for almost the entire 90 minute boil! I've never had this happen before. I have seen a flash back right when I add the hops before...but this was different...almost continuous.

Does anyone know why this happened? Does it mean anything about my mash...or otherwise?

I continued to have problems with it bubbling up like the hot break for almost the entire 90 minute boil!

Do you mean you continued to get more hot break through the boil? If so, its not a big deal. I have recently started skimming the break off during the boil and notice that most of it forms at the beginning of the boil but there is still some that comes during the boil. I don't think it means anything.

it happens to me if i jack up the fire. After the initial hot break i just keep a nice rolling boil. you prob need to back the heat down a tad.

If your getting kettle carmelization, this can happen for an extended period of time. If you add sugar or anything it can coat the bottom and carmelize, causes boil overs.

Or you have it too high, which can also do the first issue.

I used a different (new to me) base grain the other day, and that happened the entire time. I assume that the particular grain had a higher protein content or something, but I didn't look it up or worry about it. That was the first time it ever happened to me, though!

I checked the bottom of my pot and I did find some caramelization from a previous boil. I'll make sure I get that cleaned up before my next batch...otherwise I won't worry about it. Thanks for the feedback!

Back