Hose clamps gotta go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
Can someone please show me something better than hose clamps for my picnic taps? I can't find ones small enough at Lowes and it's hit or miss whether or not I'm going to lose gas, which I currently am and can only prevent by turning off that side of the manifold. I can't clamp that tap tight enough to prevent gas loss for some reason and this exchanging tanks thing is getting old. Any advice?

Use one size smaller gas line than the barbs are meant for. If you do that, clamps are only extra insurance and you'll never have a leak. I use 3/16" beer line on 1/4" hose barbs for everything, both beer and gas. That way everything is standard, you can buy tubing cheaper in bulk, and changes are simple.

Like masonsjax, I use 3/16" tubing with 1/4" fittings. I also use Oetiker clamps on top of that. One other benefit of using the clear beverage tubing for your CO2 is that you can see in the line to know if you got any beer shooting back up into the line (which can later spoil and infect your beers).

Also, if your line is leaking around your picnic tap, it will leak beer, not gas! So if you don't see liquid dripping, that's not the source of your leak.

Use one size smaller gas line than the barbs are meant for. If you do that, clamps are only extra insurance and you'll never have a leak. I use 3/16" beer line on 1/4" hose barbs for everything, both beer and gas. That way everything is standard, you can buy tubing cheaper in bulk, and changes are simple.

^that. I like these clamps, too:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=z2dmrn

they also don't cut into the hoses, and are easy to put on and take off

This is my speed...E Z clamps

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back