Horrible Attenuation With WLP007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
I want to like this yeast. Everything I've read about it makes me want to make it my house strain. My experiences with it have been quite disappointing, though. I've read all about how people are getting near 80% attenuation with it but my last two batches never got above 70%. Actually, 65% and 68% respectively. The batches were in the low 1.060's and I fermented one around 65 and one around 70. I aerated well and made 1.5 liter starters for both. Both mashed at 152 with little to no crystal malts.

Am I missing something here? Should I be adding nutrients or lowering the mash temp even more?

My last batch was a 007. I did another one a few weeks ago. It took both worts down 79 and 80%. But I mashed 70 min @ 148. The one with a few percent carared ended up at 79%, the one with only maris got 80%. Both fermented @ 66 for three weeks (approx, but no less). My experience was that it took a bit more time to get it down the last 1-2 points. Maybe two days.

Edit: OG was .50

Back