Hops/yeast not refrigerated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
So I was at this place in upstate NY doing a wine tasting this past weekend and as it turned out they had a little section in their store with homebrewing supplies, so of course I had to take a look. I noticed that their entire stock of hops (crosby and baker brand I think?) and dried yeast (s04,s05,munton's, nottingham) were all out on the shelf not refrigerated. Now I decided to say something to the girl working there about how they should be in the refrigerator. She said that because of the way they are packaged they do not need to be refrigerated and I of course disagreed. I'm thinking she was fed a line by her boss and doesn't know any better. Doesn't this seem pretty ridiculous though?

For hops, yes. They should be kept cold. Dry yeast, I have seen both ways. That is why we make starters...

What are the disadvantages of storing hops at room temp? even if they are vacuum sealed

The AA break down when exposed to: Light, Heat, Oxygen and Age. Reducing exposure to these will keep the hops useable for a longer period of time.

It takes a long time for dry yeast to be seriously damaged by normal, room temps. Is it better to store it cold? Yes. Is it a big deal not to? No, providing it doesn't sit around for upwards of a year or so... the time frame I am just guessing on. In a commercial brewery setting, I always stored nottingham, SO4 and S23 at room temp, ordered new ale yeast about 3-4 times a year, ordered lager yeast about a month or so out from when I projected the need.

Hops should be stored cold, very true. However, the most local home brew supplier I have does not. They also have the little C&B packets. I was dubious, especially when seeing the labels had been faded! Not having much choice, since I needed to brew the next day, I went with it. Know what? I think that C&B know what they are doing when they package hops! When opening the packages, the color was bright and vibrant and the aroma of the "fresh" hops was beautiful. I have made several beers now with hops from this place and have had results no different than I would expect getting them from another source.... SO, while I think it is possible that there was some minor degradation, it was negligible... I think a properly packaged (UV barrier, flushed with CO2?) package is the saving grace. I prefer to get my hops from a better source (i.e. online like AHS or Williams'), but in a pinch these will do and I will RDWHAHB

All the LHBS in my area have dry yeast out on the shelf so I don't think you should worry.

Never seen hops out of the fridge though.

Yeah I definitely found it odd since I've been to several homebrew shops and they've all stored yeast and hops in fridges and I've never seen anything ever stating that it was OK to leave them out at room temp.

Latest posts

Back