Hops spreading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol-hazza

Reaction score
Firstly, I live in the southern hemisphere so opposite seasons to the north.

I grew some hops from rhizome last year, and used a pot because i wanted to grow them in a different spot this year which I couldn't use last year due to some building work I was doing. Ended up not getting a harvest but growing some alright bines.

Anyway I moved the new and bigger rhizomes about 6-8 weeks ago from the pot to some holes in the lawn my dog had kindly dug, one of which was later dug up and the second of which is starting to show now.

However I have also noticed a hop like looking plant coming out of the lawn about a meter away from where I planted this one. Do they grow and spread that fast? At first I thought it couldn't be and must just be something that looks similar, but the more i look the more I think it could just be another hop bine coming up. Alternatively did the hops grow out the bottom of the pot last summer and take over my entire front lawn? (which would be awesome!!)

6 to 8 weeks after transplant?
Sure, a sprout a meter away could be a runner.
Easy enough to find out: pull it up!

And, yes, hop plants will find any hole(s) in the bottom of a pot and grow right through them into the ground...

Cheers!

Oh, yes, they grow like feral weeds. They are sprouting all over my yard, under my deck, out in the middle of the garden, and so on. Worse than blackberry runners, those hops!

6 to 8 weeks after transplant?
Sure, a sprout a meter away could be a runner.
Easy enough to find out: pull it up!

And, yes, hop plants will find any hole(s) in the bottom of a pot and grow right through them into the ground...

Cheers!

I tried to pull it up but it broke. I think i will just stake it and if it grows it grows

Oh, yes, they grow like feral weeds. They are sprouting all over my yard, under my deck, out in the middle of the garden, and so on. Worse than blackberry runners, those hops!

Awwsome, lawn is overrated anyway.

Back