Hops not looking healthy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
E58UiHy8GUtnKW5F8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E58UiHy8GUtnKW5F8

Hope the link works. The top of the plant looks the. Best but the first 4 feet look rough.

Where did you obtain the plant or cutting from?

My local Homebrew store in salt lake city. It was a rhizome. I asked one of the guys at the store he said they have a local guy who will supply sometimes or they will order some but I dont know what one. I planted slightly late mid May.

The top of the plant is extremely green almost doesn't look right. Some of the baby hop flowers are brownish on the tips in some areas. The rough looking leaves start by looking thin in spots then the edges dry up and once they look too far gone I will clip it off. I noticed today the bines at the base look split or stress marks almost.

At one time I thought I had bug issues but I never see any.

Looking at the pictures and time stamps. It looks like in the past week it's taken a turn. I dont think its dying but something is wrong.

Last edited:
Two possible things, the mottled flecking looks like it might be some sort of virus. The other thought is the possibility of some mites which really like hot dry situations. You may need some magnification to see them but they usually hang out on the under side of the leaves and if they're in large enough populations, can produce some very fine webbing. It's hard diagnosing issues like this without actually being on site and knowing a full background on the plant.

Mine looks extremely similar to yours (complete with hydrangeas). I haven't cut off any leaves. 1st year plant, rhizome from MoreBeer.

IMG_20190805_101602.jpg

The actual hops look healthy on mine though.

If I had to guess, yours looks more like a nutrient issue. If you search for 'interveinal chlorosis' you should find some good pics that you can compare. The reddish lesions also look like there may have been some leafhopper damage early that is causing the chlorosis to take on another dimension. Sometimes there are more than one cause to create the current condition we are seeing. This is why I mentioned that being able to look at the plants in person and over a period of time can possibly reveal issues that started some time ago. Also appears to be some bronzing along the edges of the hydrangea foliage.

Two possible things, the mottled flecking looks like it might be some sort of virus. The other thought is the possibility of some mites which really like hot dry situations. You may need some magnification to see them but they usually hang out on the under side of the leaves and if they're in large enough populations, can produce some very fine webbing. It's hard diagnosing issues like this without actually being on site and knowing a full background on the plant.

Thank you. I will see if I can spot the bugs. It is extremely hot and dry right now. Should I spray for bugs again?

If it's a virus do I need to start over? My father in law has a degree in hoardaculture I might bug him to take a look soon.

Last edited:
Mine looks extremely similar to yours (complete with hydrangeas). I haven't cut off any leaves. 1st year plant, rhizome from MoreBeer.

View attachment 638857

The actual hops look healthy on mine though.

Hah! That's pretty funny. My hydrangea isn't doing the best in that location not enough sun and this time of year the flowers look rough.

The top of my plant looks awesome. For the most part. Hopefully I manage to get some after all this.

Hah! That's pretty funny. My hydrangea isn't doing the best in that location not enough sun and this time of year the flowers look rough.
The top of my plant looks awesome. For the most part. Hopefully I manage to get some after all this.

If your big leaf hydrangea isn't getting enough sun, then the hops are definitely not getting enough sun. My poor hydrangea are getting roasted this summer, to the point I made them parasols out of landscaping fabric.

How much water are your hops getting? They are thirsty plants but really don't like wet feet. My first thought with yellowing leaves is a nitrogen deficiency, but the speckling makes me think water or an illness.

I water once daily. The hops get about 2 more hours of sun. I am going to go outside and take a bunch of pictures.

It definitely looks like mites...

This is what I am doing just sprayed it all down with garden safe bug killer. I had a fungicide/ mite killer. I also used a kills on contact bug killer all over the plant. Now I will cut away all the bad looking leaves. Looks like the bugs are mostly on one bine right now. I will add pictures soon

Last edited:
If you search for 'interveinal chlorosis' you should find some good pics that you can compare.
Thanks, yeah in closer review mine isn't quite so much like the OP.
Looks like a dozen different things could cause my issue, but whatever, if I get 6oz of wet hops I'll be very happy.
On a related note, the shrubs around my house keep dying for no obvious reason. It's a tragedy. I'm bad at growing stuff, or ...

Thanks, yeah in closer review mine isn't quite so much like the OP.
Looks like a dozen different things could cause my issue, but whatever, if I get 6oz of wet hops I'll be very happy.
On a related note, the shrubs around my house keep dying for no obvious reason. It's a tragedy. I'm bad at growing stuff, or ...

I read if plants die it's a direct reflection of the owners heart..... JK did you plant everything? I know a good amount about plants. It's my 16th hobby

Between the mites, Japanese beetles, rabbits, birds, unpredictable frost, extreme heat, and my probable overuse of herbicide trying to keep weeds at bay, it's a wonder anything survives. And yet some plants grow like freaking crazy and I have to prune them ****ing constantly, not even counting the weeds. I cut back my lilacs almost down to the ground this spring and they're already crowding the windows after I already trimmed them a second time.
One hydrangea in the front is an enormous monster, with zero flowers. 3 feet away is another hydrangea that is tiny and produces nothing but flowers. WTF.
There's one spot in the front where any shrub I put there just dies after like a month. It's becoming expensive.
I hate landscaping.
Overall my Cascade is doing ok though. She's been a pretty hardy bugger. I only hope she doesn't die before harvest.

Between the mites, Japanese beetles, rabbits, birds, unpredictable frost, extreme heat, and my probable overuse of herbicide trying to keep weeds at bay, it's a wonder anything survives. And yet some plants grow like freaking crazy and I have to prune them ****ing constantly, not even counting the weeds. I cut back my lilacs almost down to the ground this spring and they're already crowding the windows after I already trimmed them a second time.
One hydrangea in the front is an enormous monster, with zero flowers. 3 feet away is another hydrangea that is tiny and produces nothing but flowers. WTF.
There's one spot in the front where any shrub I put there just dies after like a month. It's becoming expensive.
I hate landscaping.
Overall my Cascade is doing ok though. She's been a pretty hardy bugger. I only hope she doesn't die before harvest.

Sounds like a plant circus! Where do you live sounds like Utah.

My yard is pure clay and mine tilling from the a massive open pit copper mine close by. If we dont feed the yard constantly everything starts to die. We lost two trees this year and 3 total... I also have a few spots plants refuse to live and a few spots plants never grow an inch.

We are moving and my wife and I transplanted 4 trees and they are doing amazing I am surprised honestly. But I hope with the new house I can have a better set up to grow hops we will have an acre so I want at least 4 plants.

Thank you for the help. Everyone feel free to ask questions in this thread or post about your plants.

When is the last time you fertilized them
I fertilized with foxfarm big bloom today and a week ago. This is the first year for the plants. It looks like something is eating them. Is it caterpillars? Also one leaf has what might be eggs on it. This is a crystalhopIMG_4829.JPG

I fertilized with foxfarm big bloom today and a week ago. This is the first year for the plants. It looks like something is eating them. Is it caterpillars? Also one leaf has what might be eggs on it. This is a crystalhopView attachment 639048
Im growing Crystal as well. Mine are huge ,cones are from 1 -1 1/2 inches long and plump. I devised a 55 gallon plastic barrel into a drip system. I fill the barrel every day and it distributes to 4 different hops plants. I fertilize about every other week(water soluble, 8-4-12)...Im probably a couple weeks from harvesting actually so Im excited.
Where are you located . When did you plant them and how tall are your plants? That could be anything. I did notice I had a few japanese beetles on mine but I think the birds keep them picked off pretty good. On only my Hallertauer I have some sort of caterpillar that Im trying to identify.

Located west New Hampshire. The plants are only 2-3 feet and I planted them mid May.

Located west New Hampshire. The plants are only 2-3 feet and I planted them mid May.
yeah , something isnt right. I planted mine late April and mid-May and all mine are from 12 to 18 ft long and almost to harvest in a couple more weeks, BUT Im in north Alabama.
Where do you have yours located , are they getting enough sun , water,etc.?
what do the eggs look like?

They are located just below a slope. They don’t get the morning sun but from noontime to evening. Would it die if I transplanted them? I could have done a better job with the dirt in planted them in.

I helped with a garden before and I put soapy water on the leafs to keep stink bugs and grasshoppers off. Would this hurt hop plants?

They are located just below a slope. They don’t get the morning sun but from noontime to evening. Would it die if I transplanted them? I could have done a better job with the dirt in planted them in.
Yeah i scoped out my plot pretty good before I planted. It gets full sun nearly all day.
Ahhh. The soapy water..if its a degreasing dish soap like dawn or palmolive it could be stripping away the plant leafs natural waxes . Id look into backing off that. Hops are pretty hardy. Id say if there is a better place to plant them, try it.

I have not been putting soapy water on these hops.
ok, Im confused by your previous posts comment then.
Usually any kind of botanical soap is for bugs like aphids and mites. I have never heard of using it for stink bugs or grasshoppers. Not saying it wont work ...
Neem oil seems to be the hot insecticide these days.

Im growing Crystal as well. Mine are huge ,cones are from 1 -1 1/2 inches long and plump. I devised a 55 gallon plastic barrel into a drip system. I fill the barrel every day and it distributes to 4 different hops plants. I fertilize about every other week(water soluble, 8-4-12)...Im probably a couple weeks from harvesting actually so Im excited.
Where are you located . When did you plant them and how tall are your plants? That could be anything. I did notice I had a few japanese beetles on mine but I think the birds keep them picked off pretty good. On only my Hallertauer I have some sort of caterpillar that Im trying to identify.

I came back from a week vacation at the Lake to find a few leaves dead. it was a hot dry week. good for me. not the hops.
but, i've got plenty of side arms on the top 7-10 ft with fuzzy flowers and teeny tiny cones. I think. they are at the top of the 18ft bines and my eyes arn't what they used to be.
I'm outside Buffalo, NY and they are my first plants but 2nd yr plants from GLH.

I think i've been lucky. I caught a few beetles munching in the early morning and sprayed them with insecticidal soap.
I'm in raised beds and water a half gallon daily when it doesn't rain a few days and give them nitrogen miracal grow every week but not a full dose.

though, I have some bines 5 ft up that are just gone. like I cut the ends off and I have zero idea what the heck got to them.
One plant lost it's top and it started to side arm back in june so I trained the biggest sidearm up the wire and it came back.

they grow like weeds.
so again, I feel lucky here.

so are the ones I planted at my mom's next to her tomato plants.
she has plastic on the ground though and they are surrounded by that.
I think not enough water?
I don't know.

next yr i'm putting them in raised beds.
they look healthy.
just small.

Plants are super light dependent. If the plants don't get sun at certain times if the day it could think it's in a different season. A bit of stretch but an idea.

Im sure it has everything to do with all kinds of things...soil , light exposure and water/nutrients.
I still am more than amazed that I planted mine as rhizomes with only but one or 2 shoots each and theyve grown as they have giving me way more hops in their first season than I ever expected.
They get full sun from 7 am to almost all day ,maybe 6pm .
I started with a simple mound of soil that used to be what I think was either a horse or some sort of small farm livestock running/grazing/turnout. I added commercially available composted cow manure (Black Gold) and mushroom compost. After that I added and keep a soil conditioner on it as mulch that my son got from where he used to work -composted wood chips /sawdust from a lumber mill (Evergreen Forest Products)
I designed the crude drip system from a plastic 55 gallon barrel that sits in a cradle and feeds out to each mound with simple cpvc and garden hose tentacles . I fill the barrel in the morning and it drips all day /8 hrs ..so about 12 gallons per plant all day . Every other week I add 1/2 a package of miracle grow to the water barrel . It seems like a lot but theyve all gone crazy .
My lateral cable support experiment has worked out to be a very good idea. I can inspect everything from ground level , no ladders needed.
Only issue Ive had is these caterpillars.

I planted eight varieties 2 years ago, all in the same growing conditions. Three are doing great, three doing OK, one just holding on, and one did not make it.

They have not had the best of care, but am a landscaper by trade, so I kind of know what's up with plants. I think there is a lot of variation in how different varieties do in different geographic locations and growing conditions.

I planted eight varieties 2 years ago, all in the same growing conditions. Three are doing great, three doing OK, one just holding on, and one did not make it.

They have not had the best of care, but am a landscaper by trade, so I kind of know what's up with plants. I think there is a lot of variation in how different varieties do in different geographic locations and growing conditions.
We have a similar background then. I have an AAS degree in Horticulture(Landscaping / Turfgrass Management). I have room for more . Since this year went so well, I'll be looking to add a couple more next year.

so are the ones I planted at my mom's next to her tomato plants.
she has plastic on the ground though and they are surrounded by that.
I think not enough water?
I don't know.

next yr i'm putting them in raised beds.
they look healthy.
just small.
give them each a 5 ft space and feed them well. Keep them evenly and consistently moist but not sitting in water. Proper soil drainage .

Is your producing cones yet? A friend's plants are and mine haven't even produce one as of yet.

55C77A20-8477-410C-AC1F-3296B3F3213D.jpeg

Some kind of caterpillar... I don’t think soapy water is going to penetrate the web. I cut out what I could reach. This a a centennial appears they like it the best.

Latest posts

Back