Hops already 3 feet tall?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea without a doubt. Mine clime up to about 12+ feet each year and mine start pretty late. Mine are just popping up now.

Here are the pics. Cascade plants. I had a goldings next to it that has just started showing shoots.

image-3165742503.jpg

image-3082913451.jpg

Can you trim the top and split the bine into two (or more/whatever)?

I wouldn't recommend clipping the end; I lost the tip of one of my bines last year, and didn't really end up getting many cones from that bine. The top side-arms are supposed to "take over" as new vertical-growing bines with their own side-arms, but that didn't really happen for me; YMMV, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you can't go any higher (and, it looks like you may have a second story you could potentially string twine from?), something I've seen other limited-space growers do is add more rope at the top and wind the bottom around the pot, which keeps the more-productive upper half of the bine vertical and well-lit and happy, at the expense of the bottom half of the bine, which won't produce many cones even under the best circumstances.

feinbera said:
I wouldn't recommend clipping the end; I lost the tip of one of my bines last year, and didn't really end up getting many cones from that bine. The top side-arms are supposed to "take over" as new vertical-growing bines with their own side-arms, but that didn't really happen for me; YMMV, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you can't go any higher (and, it looks like you may have a second story you could potentially string twine from?), something I've seen other limited-space growers do is add more rope at the top and wind the bottom around the pot, which keeps the more-productive upper half of the bine vertical and well-lit and happy, at the expense of the bottom half of the bine, which won't produce many cones even under the best circumstances.
I definitely wouldn't top the bine. I would like to string twine to the second story but I have no safe way of doing this.

Here is an update. As you can see they have reached the top. It seems like the leaves at the bottom are dying off. Is this normal?

image-4286701477.jpg

image-4227200611.jpg

image-194556567.jpg

They grew 6 feet in 10 days?? Holy smokes!

I thought mine were kinda long for being this early, but they are only about 4 feet right now.

Trim the leaves from the bottom 18" to prevent disease. You are going to get an early harvest!

Yeah I cant beleive how much they have grown already! nuts!!!! My goldings are just now breaking ground haha. I added some general fertilizer so we will see if that helps the browning leaves

You said they were 3 feet in your first post, and your ropes are about 9 feet long. Haven't taken a math class since high school, but I'm pretty sure that's 6 feet haha

these are all rough estimates, nothing scientific here! hahah :ban::tank::fro::rockin::mug:

Back