Hops Alpha's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewyh

Reaction score
Hey guys, this isn't that much of a brew science thread, but I'm hop-ing (brew pun :mug:) that it will be. otherwise, webmaster please feel free to move the thread into the right category :eek:

Basically, in NZ all our hops have a high alpha and a beta that is one point below the alpha. I know that if you add hops late in the boil it mainly effects the aroma and I also know that adding hops with a high beta produces interesting flavours when the beer matures... but does it make a difference to the flavour if you add high alpha hops late in the boil and can you get the complex flavours resulting from the high beta aspect of the late added hops that you normally get when the beer matures?

does it make a difference to the flavour if you add high alpha hops late in the boil?

As opposed to using low alpha aroma hops suitable for an IPA? No. Either would work since alpha% is not really a factor when it comes to offering aroma.

Some high alpha's have a strong aroma, but I found that some hops just do better with aroma then others.

Back