American Wheat Beer Hoppy Session Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, plus once to transfer into the bottling bucket then the second transfer into oxygen/ regular air filled bottles unless purging all the bottles at filling somehow.

hey, I just brewed this today. I went with "no chill" and had no idea how to adjust the "whirlpool" hop addition. I added the ~4 oz of whirlpool hops to the hot cube and am allowing to cool slowly. Any sense of how this might play out in bitterness? I'm thinking about perhaps saving the more expensive yeast and going with dry yeast (almost a quarter the price here in Australia) ... and worrying about perfecting the recipe once I have a better sense of how no-chill compares to fast chill. Any thoughts?

I use dry us05 on mine, my calypso batch was my wife's favorite one I've made. From the few tastes i got from it it's one of my favorites. Used same grain bill in my last brew but made a double batch and split between mj m20 hefeweizen yeast and then the other us05 using bravo and jarrylo.

Did exactly the same recipe and it´s awesome i used a safale wb-06 and fermented at 20c, love hops and wheats and this just will be one of my favorites from now on, but next time i´ll use WLP 300 to make it less dry and let the banana flavors enter the game, let´s see how it goes :rock:
20181123_181643.jpg

Hey, i'm finding this beer a little astringent with a long (10min!) lingering sensation on the tongue. Should it settle out after a few days or weeks during lagering?

Brewed this with @brandtrepair two nights ago, with a few changes (due to lack of on hand ingredients)
Making a 5 gallon batch
4# 2-row
4# White Wheat
1.5# Flaked Wheat (just added up the bulk of the flaked oats, flaked wheat, and the Cara 20)

Did a 30 minute boil with:
.5oz Centennial @ 30 min
Flameout of 2 oz Mosiac, 1 oz of Simcoe and 1oz Amarillo

It got dry hopped today with 2oz of Mosiac.

**Edit to add - we used the Ale Juice yeast from White Labs, I think.

We have Citra on hand, but it has sucked in every single beer we've made with it.

So, not really the exact beer, or close to the exact beer, but a slight replica of it!

Your night stand is similar to mine Party on bro

although I like Da Buddha better :yes:
I have a da buddha as well but didn't love the smaller hoots. The Cano is like bong hits but it does use alot of product. Fortunately I'm a Canuck so I do that myself as well [emoji12]

@Braufessor Have you tried using flaked wheat (or flour) instead of wheat malt? Wheat malt is expensive here if I don't buy a whole 50# bag.

BTW, I like the way your beer glows in the dark in the first pic. :)
I use some flaked wheat.... never subbed out all the wheat for it though. Not a fan of using flour. Maybe if you know another home brewer or two, or have a local club you could split a sack of wheat between a couple people. I agree on expense..... Any grain that is not in bulk is outrageously expensive. I usually have a pound or two of wheat in most beers I make, so I just go in for the50# bag and figure I will get it used up sooner or later.

I only get to brew maybe a half dozen times per year (mostly 4 gallon batches) and I have almost 150 pounds of base malts already. I don't need another 50 or 55 lbs! My last purchase was 50 lbs of dark (17°L) Munich; the price was too good to pass up ($38 shipped.) That's why I wanna try using flour. Your recipe intrigues me because I also have too much hops in the freezer. Also I want to see how wheat flour works with a cereal mash.

Brewed this about a month ago and it's very very nice. I'm gonna try it again using all Citra hops with cryo hops in the whirlpool and dryhops. Cheers

That first photo is way lighter than the batch I just brewed. Did you not add the Cara 20 to that one? What else would explain the colour difference?

Im also curious how long your hopstand typically is?

Last edited:
That first photo is way lighter than the batch I just brewed. Did you not add the Cara 20 to that one? What else would explain the colour difference?

Im also curious how long your hopstand typically is?

The #1 impact on the color of beer is simply the lighting. You can get vastly different appearances (From dull light brown to bright yellow) simply depending on lighting. I generally always use a bit of cara 10 or 20 in this beer.

Hopstand..... basically just get the chilling started and throw in the hops. I continue to chill. I don't let it sit at a certain temperature for a certain time. So, from the time I put the hops in until I drain off into fermenter is probably 30 minutes or so. Probably another 10-15 of chilling and another 15 or so just letting the beer settle for the trub/hops to sink to the bottom of kettle to leave most of it behind.

The #1 impact on the color of beer is simply the lighting. You can get vastly different appearances (From dull light brown to bright yellow) simply depending on lighting. I generally always use a bit of cara 10 or 20 in this beer.

Hopstand..... basically just get the chilling started and throw in the hops. I continue to chill. I don't let it sit at a certain temperature for a certain time. So, from the time I put the hops in until I drain off into fermenter is probably 30 minutes or so. Probably another 10-15 of chilling and another 15 or so just letting the beer settle for the trub/hops to sink to the bottom of kettle to leave most of it behind.

I understand the lighting thing of beer in carboys, but I set aside a whole glass of the wort and it's quite dark. More like a brown ale. And in the carboy it looks more like a stout. I think the brew store actually gave me the wrong kind of Cara. Maybe even a 120 rather than 20. I tasted it, and obviously right now its mainly just sweet and bitter since it hasn't fermented and the hops are so fresh, but it tastes a bit toasty. In fact, maybe they gave me roasted barley rather than flaked.

I understand the lighting thing of beer in carboys, but I set aside a whole glass of the wort and it's quite dark. More like a brown ale. And in the carboy it looks more like a stout. I think the brew store actually gave me the wrong kind of Cara. Maybe even a 120 rather than 20. I tasted it, and obviously right now its mainly just sweet and bitter since it hasn't fermented and the hops are so fresh, but it tastes a bit toasty. In fact, maybe they gave me roasted barley rather than flaked.
Yeah.... that does not sound right. It definitely should not look like stout. Even if they gave you crystal 120..... a quarter pound of that should not look that dark. Maybe amber or copper at the most. Roast barley and flaked barley would look night and day different. I would think you would have been able to see a half pound of roast barley in the grain. If that is what you got, it will be black, and it will be roast. You will have something more along the lines of a stout or roasty brown ale. Post a picture.

There were some dark bits in the grain. I didn't think about it at the time as even a cara 20 can have a few little darker bits as well. I'll upload some pics when I get home. I'm leaning towards it being roast barley, and if that's the case this is going to be a weird ass beer.

778F0DBF-53E6-4AD9-98B2-BC3D6A724880.jpeg
Maybe it was Carafa. I should email the brew store and ask.

here’s how it looks in the glass. I went out to the compost and looked at the grain again. there’s definitely some dark bits.

View attachment 613514 Maybe it was Carafa. I should email the brew store and ask.

here’s how it looks in the glass. I went out to the compost and looked at the grain again. there’s definitely some dark bits.

Yeah - you definitely got some grain that was not suppose to be in there. Just go with it now..... Perhaps you will end up with something that is kind of a session version of "Tasty McDole's - Janet's Brown Ale"....... it is a very popular hoppy brown ale recipe. Just have to see what it brings.

I use some flaked wheat.... never subbed out all the wheat for it though. Not a fan of using flour. Maybe if you know another home brewer or two, or have a local club you could split a sack of wheat between a couple people. I agree on expense..... Any grain that is not in bulk is outrageously expensive. I usually have a pound or two of wheat in most beers I make, so I just go in for the50# bag and figure I will get it used up sooner or later.

I've been experimenting with flour. I brewed a sour beer using about 20% all-purpose wheat flour, and a Kentucky Common (that one is ready to bottle) using a *lot* of nixtamalized corn flour and some rye flour. It works just fine for BIAB, although next time I will go with a full-volume mash instead of trying a dunk sparge because the bag drained kinda slow (so just drain it once instead of twice.) I did have a lot of fines in the fermenter; even more than usual with BIAB, but it packed down pretty tight and I didn't lose that much beer to it.

Now I need to see if whole wheat flour makes a difference...

Yeah - you definitely got some grain that was not suppose to be in there. Just go with it now..... Perhaps you will end up with something that is kind of a session version of "Tasty McDole's - Janet's Brown Ale"....... it is a very popular hoppy brown ale recipe. Just have to see what it brings.

Yeah there’s not much else to do.

I just want to say that this recipe is fantastic. I've had it on tap now for about a week and I can tell this keg will go very fast. One of my friends is a big IPA fan and he's in love with it, his wife doesn't like beer and she was drinking it with us. Normally with ipas, even though I love them, I can't drink a lot of them because they are usually just are too filling. I can drink two or three of these in a row on a hot day without feeling full.
I use distilled water and the simple water instructions in the first post. I normally do all kinds of water adjustments and I'm just tired of it so went the easy way. It worked wonderfully and I wouldn't change a thing. Next time I'm doing a double batch and plan to keep these on one of my taps all the time.

IMG_8886.JPG

My first attempt at this recipe is underwhelming . I detect a faint soapy taste. I’ve actually experienced this before on a belgian ipa I brewed last summer. Had to toss it. Anyone have an idea on what could have gone wrong. I brewed the exact recipe except I tossed the hops in at 145 degrees. Fermented low 60s with kolsch yeast.

I’ve had this recipe on my list for a while, I also want to do a no boil neipa.... sooooo no boil hoppy wheat it is!! I think less bitter will fit this style well and help contrast my neipa’s so I’m just gonna leave out the 30 min centennial addition. Wish me luck, will update.

Last edited:
Gah! I screwed up and forgot to add the dry hops on day 2/3. Life got in the way so I just added them after 2 weeks fermenting. Will let them hangout and cold crash in 3-4 days. Totally missed the point of bio transformation hops, guess I’ll just have to brew it again!

Gah! I screwed up and forgot to add the dry hops on day 2/3. Life got in the way so I just added them after 2 weeks fermenting. Will let them hangout and cold crash in 3-4 days. Totally missed the point of bio transformation hops, guess I’ll just have to brew it again!

I wouldn’t sweat it - the hops from the whirlpool addition should get you the majority of the bio transformation you would have gotten anyways. Plus, aroma will probably benefit some from the later dry hop.

IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG

Kegging today. Even flat and after messing up the dry hop addition, it’s delicious! Light bodied, easy to drink but what a delicious hop profile. Can’t wait until it’s carbed but I already suspect I’ll brew this again [emoji481]

I brewed this again but used hopshots for the bittering charge and Citra for the whirlpool and dryhop. I also used imperial dryhop yeast. Can out really nice. Cheers

I did brew this a while back with American wheat beer yeast. To be honest, at first I was not a huge fan. For about 4 weeks I basically just used it to blend into a couple other IPA's I had on tap. The wheat beer yeast kind of gave it a bit of a sour/tartness that I did not love. However, after about 4 weeks in the keg and as the yeast started to drop a bit, the beer itself actually became quite good. If you have some patience to let it sit, the American Wheat beer yeast is pretty good and gives it a real nice twist. Worst case, it really blends into other IPA's at 25-50% and gives them a great flavor with less alcohol.

For turning the beer around quickly...... 1318 is hard to beat.

My first keg of this is almost kicked and planning to brew a second round this weekend. Planning to change up the hopping schedule a bit to see how it affects things but gonna bet it’ll be just as good. Well done on this recipe sir!

Last edited:
Just brewed this over the weekend. It's my first batch I've brewed by myself and first on my new equipment.

IMG_20190525_154759.jpg

I'll post an update once it's kegged, but so far, looks/smells great! Just dry hopped it yesterday:
IMG_20190527_124339.jpg

Just brewed this over the weekend. It's my first batch I've brewed by myself and first on my new equipment.

View attachment 628869

I'll post an update once it's kegged, but so far, looks/smells great! Just dry hopped it yesterday:
View attachment 628870
It's a great recipe. I used imperial dryhop instead of juice last time and it came out excellent also. Cheers

Back