Hoppy Amber all grain recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chato

Reaction score
This is inspired by Evil Twin Hop Flood, which I had this summer and thought was fantastic. I haven't found any recipes and Evil Twin doesn't post much info on ingredients. I'd be stoked to get any comments or recommendations.

Hoppy Amber Ale

Targets:
Batch size: 6 gal into fermenter
ABV: 7%
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.013
SRM: 16
IBUs: 84
Mash Efficiency: 67%
Mash Temp: 152
Ferment Temp: 66

Grains:
14 lbs Maris Otter (85%)
1 lbs Munich (6%)
0.5 lbs Crystal 60 (3%)
0.5 lbs Victory (3%)
0.25 lbs Crystal 120 (2%)
0.25 lbs Pale Chocolate (2%)

Hop Schedule:
0.75 oz Warrior - FWH
1 oz Amarillo - 20 min
1 oz Galaxy - 15 min
1 oz Amarillo - 5 min
1 oz Galaxy - 5 min
2 oz Centennial - hopstand - 170 for 30 min
2 oz Galaxy - hopstand - 170 for 30 min
2 oz Centennial - dry hop
2 oz Amarillo - dry hop

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 - 2L starter

Water Profile: Ca - 121, Mg - 7, Na - 6, Cl - 59, SO4 - 196, HCO3 - 45

I'm considering increasing the Crystal 60 and 120 by .25 lb each. Hop Flood has a lot of body, beautiful dark amber color, average bitterness and high hop aroma and flavor.

I sent Evil Twin an email for information on this and got zero response. Anyone else try something like this?

I'm not familiar with the beer but the recipe looks good to me, though maybe a little high on the IBU's if it's average bitterness you'r aiming for. I've done a number of hoppy ambers that look similar (i.e. pale base, 10-15% munich or vienna, 9-12% crystal split between a medium L and a smaller amount of dark crystal, +/- a little victory/biscuit, with just a touch of chocolate for color). I would say for this style you could definitely up the crystal as you mentioned , then I would drop the chocolate to an oz or two to keep the color in line and not get too much roast.
:mug:

I just did a personal take on a clone of this beer. Been on tap for a week and a half, so almost ready to taste good. I tasted smoked malt in the original so I put a lb of German rauch malt in mine and I kinda wish it was more. I'll post mine when I get home and can do this via computer.

Ok, looking at it again this may not be the thing for a clone thread. But it's fun if it gives ideas. This was inspired by the same beer but it was brewed with ingredients I already had, so it was not the "ideal" of this beer, and some things I would definitely change. The grain bill was mostly an aborted dark saison, because I tried Hop Flood and thought, "I can make something amber and hoppy and slightly smokey" which is what I got out of it. I realized looking back it's got a lot of rye in it (esp. if you count the triticale). Probably not any in the original, but I dig that with the smoky character and would add more smoke doing it again along with more crystal (a couple kinds, possibly 1.5 lbs total? I don't love crystal malt). The spelt is pointless but I like something flaked in there, the mouthfeel is nice. I got (much) higher than expected efficiency, so I compensated with 30 min additions for more bittering, ideally it'd be 60 min additions then 15 min and onward. I think I'd go more juicy/citrusy on the hops too, but I can't really judge it yet because it's too young, but I can try to post later. But I can say it's pretty delicious as it is and I'm happy to drink it.

Rauch Rye IPA
1.068OG
1.013FG
7.2%ABV
87 IBU
16.2°L SRM

8 lbs Pilsen
2 lbs Dark Munich
2 lbs Rye malt
1 lb Beechwood smoked rauch malt
1 lb Spelt malt
1 lb Triticale (flaked)
8 oz Crystal 60
3 oz Carafa II

Mash 90 min @ 156

90 min boil
.75 oz Chinook @ 60
1.25 oz Columbus @ 30
.5 oz Willamette @ 30
.5 oz Chinook @ 15
.5 oz Columbus @ 15
.5 oz Galaxy @ 15
.5 oz Willamette @ 15
Steep @ 160F:
1 oz Chinook
1 oz Columbus
1 oz Galaxy
1 oz Willamette

Ferment with equal parts S-04 and US-05

Dry hop for 4 days after yeast drops in primary:
1.25 oz Centennial
1 oz Columbus
1 oz Galaxy

Dry hop in the keg:
.5 oz Columbus
.5 oz Galaxy

You're making super bitter hop bombs that won't really let your burnt sugar and hop flavors come up.

I'm playing with a hoppy imperialized amber. Actually drinking my latest experiment as I type.

My changes are in bold.

Targets:
Batch size: 6 gal into fermenter
ABV: 7%
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.013
SRM: 16
IBUs: 84
Mash Efficiency: 67%
Mash Temp: 152
Ferment Temp: 66

Grains:
11 lbs Maris Otter (85%)
3 lbs Munich (6%)
0.75 lbs Crystal 80 (3%)
0.5 lbs Victory (3%)
0.25 lbs Crystal 120 (2%) delete
0.25 lbs Pale Chocolate (2%)

Hop Schedule:
0.5 oz Warrior - FWH
1 oz Amarillo - 20 min
1 oz Galaxy - 15 min
1 oz Amarillo - 5 min
1 oz Galaxy - 5 min
2 oz Centennial - hopstand - 170 for 30 min
2 oz Galaxy - hopstand - 170 for 30 min
2 oz Centennial - dry hop
2 oz Amarillo - dry hop

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 - 2L starter

Using more Munich is going to make this a bit more bready/cakey.

I wouldn't recommend the Galaxy in this. Switch to Citra. My current version has this exact combo and it's all Galaxy in flavor. To do it again I'd revert back to Citra. Works much better with Centennial. Didn't use Amarillo last time. In this version I also went for Simpson's Crystal 150. Might be better at less than 1#. Hard to say because I'm a tad over bitter (.75oz chinook at 60, 2oz each Galaxy, Amarillo, Centennial split evenly at 10,5,0)

Thanks for all the great feedback. I think I'll dial back on the overall bitterness and change up the crystal profile somewhat, and maybe decrease the MO and add Munich. I have a stout planned before I brew this one, so I still have time to contemplate this recipe. I'll post the final recipe and results later on.

Latest posts

Back