Hopping suggestions for heavy late hopped low gravity blonde/pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to brewing a fairly low gravity (1.045 ish) malt bill that is roughly

Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 67.1 %
Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 10.3 %
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.7 %
White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 7.7 %
Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 7 7.1 %

I will be splitting the wort between WLP001 and WLP644, drinking the 001 fresh and letting the 644 go for a little while.

Anyways, the beer idea started as a beer for my neighbors who like a blonde but they also like hoppy beers too. So I was wanting to do a blonde but just with a crap load of hops at the end. So in reality the only difference between this and a hoppy pale is the bittering charge which I want to keep around 15-20 IBUs.

So what should I use for hops to will play nice with 644? I'm not really worried about 001, I'll take what I get there.

I don't have galaxy, I know that would probably be the best.

I do have the following

Amarillo
simcoe
chinook
cascade
columbus
nugget
bravo
falconers flight
zythos
perle
US goldings
maybe a tad of citra
warrior
millenium

and a whole lot more I can't remember.

How about Cascade to bitter with and Amarillo and Simcoe at flame out. Should give a big citrus nose.

How about Cascade to bitter with and Amarillo and Simcoe at flame out. Should give a big citrus nose.

That seems like the classic finish to a lot of new beers a couple of years ago and is certainly a good combo.

I am thinking about some of the newer varieties/combos like the zythos and falconers. I mean basically the falconers is a combo and a crapton of them and I forget what zythos is like though

Personaly I think some Nelson Savion would go good in there, but not on your list.

I think that FF and zythos are simular with the edge going to zythos. Bitter with whatever and flame out with some zythos.

I think that FF and zythos are simular with the edge going to zythos. Bitter with whatever and flame out with some zythos.

yeah, I think I will have a flameout and then bring it down to ~170-180 slowly and throw in another charge of something different and whirlpool for a good 30 minutes.

I ended up with the following

.46oz of warrior at 60, I know a weird number but that is what was in that foodsaver so I went with it
2oz of Falconers @ 5
2oz of 7 Cs @ 0
1oz of 7 Cs and 2oz f Falconers @ - 10 basically I cooled the wort to about 175 while whirlpooling

I continued to whirlpool while ever so slowing cooling the wort to about 140 for the next 25 minutes.

So that is 7 oz of hops with 5 minutes or less in this blonde :)

Back