Hopping rates for pilsner using wlp810

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to make a Bohemian pilsner using WLP810. I have read that this yeast strain is rather malt forward, which is not quite what I would like for a pilsner. Should I compensate with more hops?
My recipe says to add hops for 25 IBU@60 min, 10 IBU@30 min, 4 IBU@15 min and 0,3 IBU@1 min.

I would leave it as is if it were me. I would mash low and get as much out of it as possible. Every time I've used the yeast the beer gets better as it ages. I give it some time in my lager fridge., usually about 3-4 months. This yeast is famous for being at its best when it is the last pour.

I'd up the bittering hops a little. This Fall I brewed the exact same O'fest recipe twice and used 833 (my normal O'fest yeast) for one and 800 for the other to see what the yeast does to these beers. The difference was impressive. The 833 batch was nice and round and malty, while the 800 was very crisp and bitter, too bitter - for an O'fest. People liked the 800 version, but not as a malt forward O'fest. 833 was the favorite for the O'fest. Your situation is the opposite. If I wanted to use 833 for a bitter beer (which I do for a CAP), then I would up the hops a bit more than I would for a hop forward lager strain.

If I had to guess, I would say the two O'fests I brewed had an apparent bitterness difference of 7-10 IBUs between the two, even though the same amount of hops went in to each

Latest posts

Back