Hop tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Buckner

Reaction score
I've got two batches fermenting now and I wrote out the hop schedule to include dry hopping but while I was waiting to get to brewing them I found some info on adding hop tea to replace dry hop additions.
The videos I've watched all use a french press, since I don't have one I figured I'd use a liter mason jar and a hop bag.
I'm planning on getting water up to around 170, let it cool to around 140 then pour it over the hops and let it sit for a couple days before adding to the finished beer before bottling.
The videos show them making the hop tea earlier in the day and only letting it drop to room temp before adding.
Is 2 days too long to let them steep?

Don't let them steep; they will oxidize. Add the hops to boiling water for about 5 minutes and then rapidly chill.
You can squeeze out the liquid manually if you want, but aeration is a concern so do it as gently as possible while it's still near boiling temp (if you can avoid burning yourself).

You can get a high quality 1L stainless steel French press for $25.

I’ve made hop tea with whole hops in a Mason jar but only steeped them an hour. I poured off the liquid and added it to the beer. Turned out good.

The best way I’ve found to add the tea to a keg (thx to HBT) is to use a plastic bottle and a carbonator cap. Pour the liquid into the bottle. Squeeze the air out. Install carbonator cap. Add 1-2 PSI CO2 to inflate bottle. Jump the bottle to the gas in post. Invert the bottle. Pull the PRV and the liquid flows into the keg. Quickly pull off the jumper when nearly complete to ensure only the liquid enters the keg.

Don't let them steep; they will oxidize. Add the hops to boiling water for about 5 minutes and then rapidly chill.
You can squeeze out the liquid manually if you want, but aeration is a concern so do it as gently as possible while it's still near boiling temp (if you can avoid burning yourself).

You can get a high quality 1L stainless steel French press for $25.

I can see your point about oxidation. However, I've utilized hop teas more than a few times in the past and always had them steep for :20 mins or so in the French press and never experienced noticeable oxygenation. Nor have I noticed it when steeping tea bags for that matter.

That said, the French press is filled to the brim with the steeping water, and the filter top is turned 90 degrees which seals off any air at the top of the press. Since I only want hop flavors and aroma I steep at a water temp. around ~170F, but I can see value in first bringing the water initially to a rapid boil to drive off dissolved oxygen, then cooling it to steeping temperature before pouring it into the press.

I'll have to give this some more thought.

Brooo Brother

I can see your point about oxidation. However, I've utilized hop teas more than a few times in the past and always had them steep for :20 mins or so in the French press and never experienced noticeable oxygenation. Nor have I noticed it when steeping tea bags for that matter.

That said, the French press is filled to the brim with the steeping water, and the filter top is turned 90 degrees which seals off any air at the top of the press. Since I only want hop flavors and aroma I steep at a water temp. around ~170F, but I can see value in first bringing the water initially to a rapid boil to drive off dissolved oxygen, then cooling it to steeping temperature before pouring it into the press.

I'll have to give this some more thought.

Brooo Brother
I think he was meaning dont let them step for days. Which I was originally considering.
All your guys help tells me I'll be able to do both hop teas in the same day, which is very convenient.

I'm really surprised hop tea isn't the standard way to add hops instead of dry hopping.

• The flavor is amazing.
  • Probably less grassy notes.
  • Good utilization.
  • Reduced or eliminated hop material in the fermenter makes racking easier.
  • It's much easier to incorporate tea into a low oxygen process to avoid oxidation.
  • It's faster.
  • It's more sanitary.
  • No risk of "hop creep" causing over-attenuation.

Count me in!

I'm really surprised hop tea isn't the standard way to add hops instead of dry hopping.

• The flavor is amazing.
  • Probably less grassy notes.
  • Good utilization.
  • Reduced or eliminated hop material in the fermenter makes racking easier.
  • It's much easier to incorporate tea into a low oxygen process to avoid oxidation.
  • It's faster.
  • It's more sanitary.
  • No risk of "hop creep" causing over-attenuation.

Count me in!

Totally agree with all points. The only reason I don't currently "dry" hop this way now is that I've recently added one of JayBird's Sight Glass Yeast Brinks into my process and I can dry hop directly into my conical fermenters without opening the top. Also, I try to use cryo hops when I can to cut down on the vegetal matter and off-tastes, as well as limiting the dry hops exposure to 7 days or less. I may have to try making a hop tea and injecting it with the Yeast Brink. It should work like a champ!

As for hot side, I really like using hop shots for bittering to reduce the volume of biomass and vegetation in the BV, and also cryo hops for late hops and flavor and aroma whirlpools for the same reasons. The major problem with both of them however is the limited variety available. Never had much success with hop oils yet, even though I like what they add to Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA. Also limited hop selections available with those too.

I'm getting stoked to try this. Too bad the forecast is for cold and very windy for the next week or so.

Brooo Brother

Just thought of this,
I'll be using 2 oz of hops. Does the amount of hops increase the steep time or will 20 min. be long enough to get everything out of them that I need?

The amount of hops won't change the time period. I do 5-10 minutes with good results. Probably anywhere in the 0-30 minute range is good, depending on how much bitterness you want to extract.

The amount of hops won't change the time period. I do 5-10 minutes with good results. Probably anywhere in the 0-30 minute range is good, depending on how much bitterness you want to extract.

Thanks!
I'm hoping not to extract any bitterness. I was planning to boil some water, let it cool to around 140-160 then steep.

Latest posts

Back