Hop suggestions requested.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
I am brewing a Pale Ale (5 gal batch / 60 min boil) and was planning on using some leftover hops that I have. I was hoping to get some advice / suggestions about how much, which ones to use, and when to add. I have:
3 oz Columbus
0.6 oz US Magnum
0.5 oz US Northern Brewer
0.7 oz Liberty

What do you guys think... And should I supplement with any other hops that I don't have?

Assuming this is an American pale you could bitter with magnum and use the columbus for late additions - something like 0.5 oz at 15, 10, 5, and 0 plus an ounce dry hop. Not knowing the rest of your recipe I'd probably plug it into a calculator and aim for about 40 ibu. That might be too much columbus for some, other people love it. It's got a little citrus but much more dank than the other C hops. I've had good results with a 50/50 mix of columbus and cascade for all the late additions if you wanted to mix in another hop, or centennial would be good too. I'd probably save the liberty and northern brewer for something else.
:mug:

+1 on using Columbus to dry hop. It has a wonderful floral note when you dry hop with it.

Back