Hop stand/aroma steep and added bitterness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
So I did a hop stand on my pale with various hops. It calculated out to around 50ibu in beerSmith but I know it has a ton more. I need to call this a session IPA now.

I've heard you should calculate steeped hops as a 20min addition..is that accurate?

Did a 30 minute whirlpool steep at flameout.

Depends on the temperature of your stand. Beersmith actually has whirlpool as an option now. I believe their assumed temperature is 193 or 194F and you input the time. The problem with this is that you have to maintain the temperature. Another option is to drop the temperature of your wort to under 175 after the boil and begin the stand there. The isomerization at this point is very low and you shouldn't get very much bitterness from this.

I have an old version of BS and the ibus don't increase with an aroma steep. Thanks though. I think I did the stand from 180 down to 160.

Latest posts

Back