Hop Spider for Biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dordelli

Reaction score
I just ordered an 8 X 16 hop spider from Arbor Fabrication and am just realizing this will fit pretty snugly inside my 9 gallon kettle that I sometimes use for stove top, small size, BIAB batches. Will a 300 micron hop spider work well for BIAB or is the mesh too fine? Seems like a great way to be able to direct fire without melting a grain bag.

hopspider-225x225.jpg

Anyone have thoughts on this, my order is shipping tomorrow and would probably be able to change to 400 micron although am unsure if that would increase the hop debris I am trying to keep out of my plate chiller.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but if you aren't recirculating I think youd be good. Definitely on the small size for holes in ss. A false bottom usually has 3/32 inch (~2.4mm) holes so even the 400 micron stuff would be about 6 times smaller. Bags tend to be much finer though, I sewed one up out of voile cloth for a few dollars.

Back