Hop schedule for Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geologyguy

Reaction score
I am a huge hop lover and wanted to mess around with some different hops. I am making an extract Rye IPA next week!! So I came up with a hop schedule What do you all think???

Bittering: (Start of Boil)
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Columbus

Flavoring: (25 mins in to boil)
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Amarillo

Aroma: (Last 12 mins)
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Chinook

Dry: (Day 3)
1 oz Citra
1 oz Cascade

What is your proposed OG? Recipe?

Regardless, I would try to move the simcoe to later since it is such a nice hop as flavor or aroma. Just my two cents.

Personally, I don't think you need that many different hops. You could probably avoid citra and chinook and I wouldn't be afraid to use columbus as a late addition as well. It has great flavor. Id use more Amarillo as a late addition, throw some in on the dry hop too. If you're set on chinook, id move some to an earlier addition to get some of that nice lasting bitterness.

For a perspective, my favorite homebrew is a DIPA with columbus Chinook and simcoe. For your rye, id lean towards simplicity and drop the citra ands Chinook, even though I love them both. Late additions of Amarillo rock, and compliment rye quite well

What is your proposed OG? Recipe?

Regardless, I would try to move the simcoe to later since it is such a nice hop as flavor or aroma. Just my two cents.
The O.G is 1.061-1.065 it's a Brewers Best I.P.A kit. Thanks for the cents
Off topic I'm from Carlsbad, NM we call it Cbad too haha

Personally, I don't think you need that many different hops. You could probably avoid citra and chinook and I wouldn't be afraid to use columbus as a late addition as well. It has great flavor. Id use more Amarillo as a late addition, throw some in on the dry hop too. If you're set on chinook, id move some to an earlier addition to get some of that nice lasting bitterness.

For a perspective, my favorite homebrew is a DIPA with columbus Chinook and simcoe. For your rye, id lean towards simplicity and drop the citra ands Chinook, even though I love them both. Late additions of Amarillo rock, and compliment rye quite well
Okay I am new and this was my first hop experiment so I was not sure about all the rules. Is there a good guide out there? Thanks for the help

That hop schedule will give you an extremely bitter beer if this is for a 5 gal batch. I would use enough Columbus at 60 minutes to get you to 35 - 40 IBUs. You can then use an oz of whatever you want at 15, 10, 5 and 0 to round out the beer.

60m 1oz Columbus
15m .5 oz Simcoe
15m .5oz Cascade
10m .5oz Simcoe
10m .5 oz Amarillo
5m .5 oz Cascade
5m .5 oz Amarillo
Dry hop 1oz Cascade and 1oz Amarillo if you can get one more ounce

You want to be able to distinguish the hop flavors and aroma in your beer so you might just want to keep it to these 3. Or sub one out if you prefer one type over the other. Once you learn which hops you prefer it will start getting easier for you to make you hops schedule. You may want to pick up a copy of beersmith, it really lets you play around with hop bitterness in regards to when you put them in during your boil.

Another thing about this recipe, you want to taste your rye flavor!! So dont overdo the 15-20 minute additions.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Another thing i guess we forgot to ask is how many IBU's are you looking for? The combo i listed above will be at 80 IBU's, so it will have a nice bite along with some nice aroma. If you want less, redce each addition to .33 oz and put the remaining hops in as dry hops!!

Another thing i guess we forgot to ask is how many IBU's are you looking for? The combo i listed above will be at 80 IBU's, so it will have a nice bite along with some nice aroma. If you want less, redce each addition to .33 oz and put the remaining hops in as dry hops!!

Cool thank you very much I will try that! I am not sure about how man IBU I juat like it nice and hopy

Aim for a 1 to 1 ratio of bitterness units to Original gravity units. Aka BU:GU ratio. That will give you a really hoppy beer

Back