hop profile on large batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
I have a friend that brews on a large scale and he always has issues with hop utilization. He uses insane amounts of hops on his IPA'S and they never finish with nearly as many IBU's in the taste as expected. Is there some reason that on a large scale IBU'S don't perform the same as they would on a small 5 gallon scale?

I have a friend that brews on a large scale and he always has issues with hop utilization. He uses insane amounts of hops on his IPA'S and they never finish with nearly as many IBU's in the taste as expected. Is there some reason that on a large scale IBU'S don't perform the same as they would on a small 5 gallon scale?

Yes, cant explain the scientific reason. What is large? 1BBL or more?
I have 1BBL and am going to start at 110% on the hop utilization.

Perhaps water chemistry is playing a part. Adjusting the water would be the first thing I would go after to make the hops 'pop' if using the correct amount of hops but not getting the expected sharpness.

Back