Hop pellets brew volcano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasebrooker

Reaction score
Hi all.

So I'm doing my first extract kit where you add hop pellets, been doing a few one and two can kits but I'm starting to branch out on my journey to AG.

The destructions said to add the hop pellets after 5 days, which I have done today. On adding them I got what can only be described as a volcano of frothing!! It's filled up a couple of bottles already, I've just attached my blow off tube and left the end in a bucket.

Is this normal? All the froth is green from the pellets so will I be loosing the effect of the pellets? And if I do this again, should I be waiting for fermentation to stop first despite what the destructions say?

The beer in question is as below:

5 gal Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale
OG 1.054
50g hop pellets added after 5 days

Many thanks

Jase

Your instructions are wrong. When you put a time on fermentation you will be wrong more often than right because each time you make beer your yeast will work at the pace they choose, not on any clock or calendar. Your beer was still fermenting and had a lot of dissolved CO2 which reacted to the addition of the hops.

For your next brew, let the beer ferment out completely as evidenced by the use of your hydrometer before you add the hops. This usually occurs quicker but I like to give the yeast 2 weeks or more because I can be relatively certain that they will be done by then.

You will probably lose quite a bit of the hop aroma and flavor with your volcano so go get another package of the same type of hops and wait for the fermentation to be completed before you add them.

Thanks RM-MN. I thought that maybe the case, I always figure it is hard to put a time limit on when to do these things when you're working with something living like yeast. I will get some more hops and add them when fermentation has finished and bear that in mind for the next time. Thanks for your advice :)

Back