Hop Packing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am using Ziplock Vacuum bags this year since my vacuum unit died due to wire breakage that heats plastic. Anyone use these for hop storage? Is there an easy way to hook up a commercial vacuum machine and do this rather than hand pump the air out?

I tried these a few years ago. Some worked yet most of the bags failed to keep a seal. Finally went to a generic vacuum system and nothing can beat it. Go out and buy a new one.

1409104519147.jpg

I got a Foodsaver for cheap off eBay and wouldn't have it any other way.
I just buy a year's worth of hops after harvest, around November, then just vacuum seal them like above and stick them in the freezer. They'll be good all year (and then some)

Appreciate your comments. Now to find a vacuum machine. I was hoping you had a source for the wire that broke.

Yep! Mine broke too- and I ordered another one. I'm at work now, and don't have the exact link, but it was something like "vacuumsealerreplacementparts.com" (kid you not- vacuum sealer (or foodsaver?) replacement parts was the name of the company!)

The wire was like $6. I also replaced that black strip too, as it had spots burned on it, and my foodsaver is as good as new!

I bought a Reynolds Handi-Vac years ago for $10. Keep thinking about buying a FoodSaver type sealer, but this thing works, so I never get around to it. The price has doubled on Amazon, but it's something that should work with the Ziplock bags.

I double vacuum bag all my hops to reduce the chance of losing the seal. I've been reusing the same bags for years. It was a battery hog, so I hard wired it to an old transformer.

Handi-Vac1.jpg

Handi-Vac2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back