Hop Infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I am just about finished with my Brutus 10 and am having a few concerns before brew day. I have 2 Chugger Pumps and 1/2" ID silicone tube for them. All connections are 1/2" ID. My diptube is a copperTEE with about 4" of stainless braid coming out both sides and two 1/2" caps inside each end of that braid for better rigitidy. I also have a stainless hop spider I made.

I am getting a bit concerned about plugging up my pumps and eventually my plate chiller. I will be using both leaf and pellet hops. I have seen many others talk about making a "hop quesadilla" or the triangle shaped hop stopper but haven't heard any long time use stories about this kind of setup. Could any of you who have experience tell me what you think of those options or something else that works for you with a similar setup to mine? I am also concerned about how much hop infusion I am getting into my wort with only letting the hops float in that small hop spider bag. Thanks ahead of time.

Pete

Seems like you've got your setup pretty under control. Have you brewed with it before with success?

I just brewed my first batch on my new system with a chugger. I put all my boil hops (pellet) in a 5 gallon nylon bag. My whirlpool additions (1 oz pellet) I put directly in my pot. No problems with the pump and I use an immersion chiller so I can't speak for clogged plate chillers. All said, I think I had 6 oz of pellet hops in that beer, some of which escaped my nylon sack and ran through the pump with no hesitation.

Latest posts

Back