Hop Identification Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnidons-Brewing

Reaction score
So, last year I had gotten 2 chinook and 1 cascade rhizomes. Planted them, they did great. Cut them down at the end of the season, and threw the cuttings in the compost.

This spring, when starting to dig around the compost, I found one of the cuttings turned into a rhizome.

And unfortunately, I have no way of knowing what plant it comes from. Was hoping some of you here might know better. I have taken two pictures of it (one in the glass of water that I've been keeping it in, and one out), and I have it next to two leaves (one cascade, one chinook). Hopefully this can help some of you help me identify it.

What looks to me, as a lighter color, leaf on the left is the chinook. The leaf on the right is cascade. The cutting that turned into a rhizome in question is in the middle. I tried looking at leaf patterns and colors, but still stumped.

Thanks for the help!

18555175_10209520102416209_1723873965_n.jpg

18578607_10209520102336207_308134540_n.jpg

I have the same hops and planted them a little too close together so they end up very entangled at the top. It's impossible to tell the difference by leaf alone, but I can tell the difference when they get cones. Cascade tend to be a tighter cone and chinook are looser - their cones tend to flare a bit.
Hope that helps!

Only way you will have an idea is to plant and wait for flower production. Then you can compare the flowers and the aromas to narrow it down to 1 of the 2 varieties.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. Thats why I even waited this long to post. I figured I'd let the plant grow a bit in the water to see what type it was.

Honestly didn't expect the cuttings to turn into a rhizome. Otherwise I might have put more thought into my cuttings instead of just throwing them all in the compost.

Is this 'fairly' common? Like at the end of the season, can I save the cuttings in water/dirt and see if any of the branches turn into rhizomes for next year?

Is this 'fairly' common? Like at the end of the season, can I save the cuttings in water/dirt and see if any of the branches turn into rhizomes for next year?

Yes. It is called air layering, IIRC. And is a common form of propagation.

I've even had melon and squash germinate, root, and grow in the compost heap from seed cleaned out in prep for cooking/serving.

Steve: Will still have to wait for the cones for that right? I've never smelled anything straight from the plant itself before.

Steve: Will still have to wait for the cones for that right? I've never smelled anything straight from the plant itself before.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that; yes.
10 years ago I was given a rhizome with no idea what it was so I planted it and when I had some cones I got a very piney smell from them; I'm pretty sure that the only hop rhizome available back then with a big piney aroma was chinook. I wasn't a big chinook fan at the time and gave the rhizome to a co-worker who also home brewed.

Back