hop growing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I built a pergola-like structure for my hops. I have trained all the bines up twine but I have noticed some bines from the same plant are reaching across to the other bines twine (same plant). Is this ok? Should I let two bines grow up the same piece of twine? I will add pictures tonight.

Thanks!

I have a real cluter-F going on with some of my hops. Since it's first year I just let it go wild but I think the following years I'll cut it back. I wouldn't worry about 2 bines on one twine.

Since they are the same plant it is not a concern but will be difficult to harvest. If they were different plants then cross pollination could be a concern as well as being able to harvest and distinguish between the two varieties.

Cross-pollination is only a concern if one is trying to breed/x-breed hops - which nearly none of the folks corresponding in this forum are interested in doing.

Unless one gives a prodigious amount of room to each plant, same-strain tangling is nearly inevitable. It'll be a minor pita at harvest...

Cheers!

Hop 1
image-275754844.jpg

Hop 2
image-4002331109.jpg

image-792643390.jpg

Hop 3

image-1065034266.jpg

Latest posts

Back