Hop flavor after one vs two weeks of dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssray2000

Reaction score
Brewing a Nelson/Galaxy farmhouse style IPA with yeast from Trillium brewing. It is currently in dry hopping stage. 5gal batch dry hopped with 3oz galaxy + 3oz nelson sauvin pellets in a SS brewtech 7gal steel fermenter. I pulled a tasting sample after one week and the sample was bursting with hop flavor both in rase and nose and seemed really bright. I pulled a sample today (after two weeks) just before kegging, it is still very hoppy in taste but the nose seemed slightly less bright than last week. I was wondering if anyone else had similar experience with these or similar aroma forward hops during dry hopping? Thinking of going only one week dry hopping next time.
Thanks for the suggestions and advice

I usually keep dry hopping to 1 week, 10 days max.

IMO the hop flavor gets a little muddled after that. I've noticed a weird tingling on the tip my tongue as well. I'm not sure what causes that.

You don't need to go anywhere near two weeks really. I do all mine between 3 and 5 days, 3 days if it's just an ounce or so. The longer you keep them in the beer the more vegetal & grassy flavors you're going to pick up

Back