Hop extract - simple and cheaper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegra

Reaction score
Hello:

I was surprised how little hop extract (co2 method) has been mentioned.

A 100g tin is just over $20 and contains the equivalent of several pounds of hops.

If we talk just bittering additions, is this the way to go?
No hop residue and simple "squirt the required amount".

I am not sure if this is more stable than flowers or pellets.
(Can hop extract be frozen?)

Forgive me for my ignorance, but does it really matter what the type of 60 minute boil hop is? (At,that point is not all character boiled off and only the numerical IBU left?)

Looking for a way to simplify my "inventory" and a can of extract (devided into 10cc syringes) seems simpler that bags of hops.

Tom

Hello:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but does it really matter what the type of 60 minute boil hop is? (At,that point is not all character boiled off and only the numerical IBU left?)

Tom

Well to this point it certainly does. Low cohumulone hops will give a "softer" bitter than hops with a high amount of cohumolone. Bitter a pils with warrior versus cascade and you can taste a clear difference for the same calculated ibus. In large amounts of bittering hops or very delicate beers a you may be able to taste a bit of the bittering additions flavor.

Back