Hop extract ml to hop oz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
So i know about how to xalculate the bittering but i wanted to do an exsperiment brewing the same beer one with hop extract exspt the dh and one with hops. I was going to go with a well known grain bill and nutral yeast to keep all things fair.

But im not sure what 5ml of citra exstract will equate to in pelet hops.
If any one could shed some light to get me going i would appreciate it.

Just for references
5 gal batch
9# 2row
2# vienna
1# flacked barley
60min 149 mash
50 ibu hopshot ctz at 60min
10 min 1 tsp irish moss
1 oz citra @ 5min
2 oz citra @ flame out
Cool wort to 170 hold 30min witb 3 oz citra

Wlp 001

Idk if i want to dh or not since it w ok uld be hard to use the extract like that.

So ineed to figure out how those hop amounts translate in ml of hopshot. From the ibus at 60min id say 5ml is close to one oz.but thats just my assumption.

To be really objective, you'd need CTZ hop pellets to compare. If you planned on using CTZ hops and they happen to be 15.5 AA, you'll use .65 ounces for 60 minutes to give you right at 50 IBUs.

What hops do you plan to bitter with and what is the AA? CTZ stands for Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeuss. You mentioned Citra for bittering so you are not going to get a heads up comparison if you stray off track.

Im using citra for every thing but bittering. I was gonna bitter both with ctz extract to take out veriables. Then make on beer with citra pellets and one with citra exstract

Chiming in just to say, hop extract is STICKY. I recommend dissolving it in warm water in a disposable cups before using. Or you'll be scrubbing it off the sides of your kettle...

So tje grain bill will bee the same for the extract vertion.
60min 5ml ctz
10min kdap and irish moss
5min 5ml citra
0min 10ml citra
Cool to 170* 15ml citra

Wlp001

I think ill use this as a b aseline then double the extracct amount if it isnt hoppy enough the first time.
I cant dised to dh or not. My fear is, it would get in the way of the exsperiment.

Thats a great idea how hot?

Id get a styrofoam cups(sorry planet Earth, but it's for science) and use near boiling water. Shouldn't take much. 8 oz or so.

That's what I'll be doing with my second hop shot.
I suppose you could use boiling wort as well, but I figure it will be easier to see that it's mixed fully in water.

Chiming in just to say, hop extract is STICKY. I recommend dissolving it in warm water in a disposable cups before using. Or you'll be scrubbing it off the sides of your kettle...

Man I can +1 you on that ^^^^. I bought the large can of CTZ extract and made my own hop shots. I made a mell of a hess for sure. That stuff was like goop and got all over the counter and sink. Luckily I had the idea ahead of time to use latex gloves before I started.

Man I can +1 you on that ^^^^. I bought the large can of CTZ extract and made my own hop shots. I made a mell of a hess for sure. That stuff was like goop and got all over the counter and sink. Luckily I had the idea ahead of time to use latex gloves before I started.

I made my own hop shots the same way. I brewed with my first one yesterday. After I sparge I always have a gallon or so of 175 degree water left in my HLT. I put my hop shot in a small ziplock and put it in that water in my HLT after my sparge. It sat there until I reached a boil and it was all liquid when I needed it at first boil. For me that was easiest and didn't require any extra steps.

Great tip. I have my hop shots stored in the fridge as Yakima suggests. The sparge water you have available is the perfect temp to loosen the extract back up. I made all 5mL shots and most of my recipes are calling for only 3mL meaning I need to be careful and have it very warm to flow easily so it will be easy to use only what I need.

Back