Hop Combo with HBC 630

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently attended CBC with my company (we were exhibitors) and came back with a few pounds of assorted hops. I'm looking to brew a NEIPA this weekend and plan on using some of the 12oz of HBC 630 that I have, and am wondering if any of the hops below might go well with it. I typically use 4oz each of 3 different hops (a total of 12oz) spread evenly across whirlpool and two dry hops. From the list below, does anyone have recommendations of which hop or hops I might want to pair with the HBC 630? Or would I be better off picking up some citra or simcoe?
  • Altus
  • Eureka
  • Bravo
  • Idaho 7
  • Idaho Gem
  • Talus
  • Centennial
  • Ekuanot
I haven't found too many recipes showcasing HBC 630, so not sure what it might go well with.

Cheers!

John

I personally would try Idaho 7 and Centennial. Although it would be fun to experiment and try others as well to see what would work best!

I recognize I'm late to the party here, but I highly recommend pairing 630 with Barbe Rouge, Strata or Azacca, respectively. I did a black IPA with 630, Barbe Rouge and Strata and it was the best beer I brewed over 10 years of homebrewing. Cheers!

My LHBS has some HBC 630 pellets and I would like to try it out. Any recommendations of whether it's worth to use on the hot side (whirlpool), or better focus on dry hop?

I was planning on pairing with Mosaic on the whirlpool and Strata on the dry hop.

My LHBS has some HBC 630 pellets and I would like to try it out. Any recommendations of whether it's worth to use on the hot side (whirlpool), or better focus on dry hop?

I was planning on pairing with Mosaic on the whirlpool and Strata on the dry hop.
I think you should. HBC 630 has a decent survivable 2MIB content. See YCH's chart: Yakima Chief Hops “Survivables” Table. 2MIB has an apricotty aroma. Scott Janish recommends whirlpooling (and dry hopping) hops with the 2MIB ester to encourage apricot aromas. Survivables: Unpacking Hot-Side Hop Flavor - Scott Janish. 2MIB also has a synergistic effect with the 3S4MP thiol. Mosaic has the precursor to that thiol, which is 3MP4MP. https://www.brewersassociation.org/...iol-Precursors-in-Different-Hop-Varieties.pdf. That precursor is biotransformed during active fermentation. So, to summarize: yes, whirlpool with 630. Dry hop with them, too. That's where you'll get the red fruit flavors. I also recommend doing at minimum a biotransformation dry hop with your mosaic, since it'll draw out the 3S4MP thiol, which will amplify the apricot/stone fruit flavors from HBC 630. Sidenote: I LOVE Strata, and your combo sounds delicious.

Thanks for the detailed reply, my current recipe draft is this:

HBC 630

New England IPA
7.0% / 18.1 °P
All Grain

BIAB

70% efficiency
Batch Volume: 27 L (Kettle)
Fermenter Volume: 24.92 L
Boil Time: 30 min
Mash Water: 26.97 L
Top-Up Water: 7.62 L
Total Water: 34.59 L
Boil Volume: 29 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.070

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU (Tinseth): 19
BU/GU: 0.25
Color: 9.7 EBC

Mash​

Temperature — 70 °C45 min

Malts (9 kg)

5 kg (55.6%) — Crisp Extra Pale Malt — Grain — 3.4 EBC
2 kg (22.2%) — Crisp Flaked Torrefied Oats — Grain — 5 EBC
1 kg (11.1%) — Crisp Chit Malt — Grain — 2.5 EBC
1 kg (11.1%) — Crisp Torrefied Wheat — Grain — 5 EBC

Hops (460 g)

10 g (6 IBU) — Columbus (Tomahawk) 15% — Boil — 10 min
50 g
(8 IBU) — HBC 630 14% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand
25 g
(5 IBU) — Mosaic 18% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand @ 80 °C
50 g
— Mosaic Lupomax 18% — Dry Hop — day 0
200 g
— HBC 630 14% — Dry Hop — 2 days
125 g
— Strata 12% — Dry Hop — 2 days

Hopstand at 80 °C

Yeast​

Lallemand (LalBrew) Verdant IPA 77%

Fermentation​

Primary — 18 °C2 days
d-rest — 22 °C3 days
soft crash — 16 °C1 days
dry hop + cold crash — 2 °C2 days

I would add the Mosaic dry hop when adding the wort to the fermenter, the second dry hop will be added under pressure after dumping the yeast.

Back