Hop combo feedback...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
Thinking of doing an IPA as follows:

6 # each of American and English Pale malt
.25 # Victory

WLP007

Bittering: Warrior (60 minutes)

Combo of Apollo, Columbus, and Simcoe at 10 minutes, FO, and dry hop.

Ratio of 1:1:.5 Simcoe, Columbus, and Apollo, respectively.

It's not a combination that I've ever used. Looking for less fruity. Thoughts?

Sounds great to me, let know how it turns out. Isn't it still going to get quite a bit of fruit / grapefruit from the Apollo? (Nugget or Liberty come to mind as less fruity, but hey, we have to use up the Apollo too!)

I agree on the dankness. It could be a powerhouse. If you want less fruit aroma/flavor, consider Nugget or Chinook instead of Apollo. That might shade it toward piney. But that thing is going to be hoppy regardless.

Columbus isn't available through Farmhouse, so I'm subbing in Chinook. Also decided to bitter with Apollo for cost purposes.

So now:

6 lbs each of English and American Pale malt
.25 lbs Victory

WLP013

Mash at 149 or 90 minutes

Apollo @ 60
1:1:.5 Simcoe, Chinook, Apollo @ 10, FO, and dry hop

I really want to use an English ale yeast for this, so the question is whether to use WLP007 or WLP013.

I really want to use an English ale yeast for this, so the question is whether to use WLP007 or WLP013.

I'd go with WLP007. It's a "safer" choice. I used WY1028 (which is supposedly a substitute for WLP013, although I'm not sure it's the exact same strain) on an IIPA recently, and I was not enthused with the result. The "mineral" quality from the yeast did not go well at all with the Amarillo hops that I used. Sadly for my mouth and my wallet, that became the first batch I ever dumped due to taste. I'm sure that yeast can be good, but I was turned off enough by what it did to my beer that I probably won't use it again.

Latest posts

Back