Hop bitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microscopist

Reaction score
I do like a cocktail now and then and I love bitters. I've seen semi-recipes for hop bitters on the net but they all start with soaking the hops in alcohol.
That to me doen't seem right - most commercial bitters use both water and alcohol extraction and I thought hops needed a reasonable boil to get a good bitter extraction so I'm thinking of trying it a bit differently -

Boil one batch of hops in water to make a puckeringly bitter tea, then add that to a tincture made from fresh aroma hops. Then unite and adjust to 40% EtOH.

I'm wondering what other aromas might do well in the mix - a little citrus peel seems obvious, what about black pepper? any other suggestions?

Sounds great. Depending on the flavoring hops you use you could use a variety of things. I love citrus with peppers. I recently made a mosaic guava IPA that's killer. I'm not sure what would go with a piney hop like chinook.

Please post some results.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm now thinking stick to what I know and make beer bitters - use the hops but balance them with the sweet coffee and chocolate notes of high roast malts. Might might my gin look quite funny though.

I'm making a grapefruit bitters at the moment and the recipe includes hope. I just threw them in the alcohol with the rest of the ingredients so we'll see how it turns out.

Let me know how your boiled hops tincture goes

Your post spurred me into action - just catching up after the house move. I'm going for 'beer bitters'.

15g Boadicea hops in 180g 90% alcohol
15g of the same in 300ml wort from todays brew, reboiled for a couple of minutes basically just to pasteurise.
I'll let them sit a few days then unite, leave for a week and then try them in gin.

I figure keep it relatively simple as I can always make additional extracts of spices and add them in later,.

Mixed the two parts and got a horrible looking lurid green swamp. Left it to sit a couple of week, strained and settled. Got an amber liquid at end.
Tried it in Fever tree tonic -
Hop is definitely there, but it needs further concentrating- I needed around 20 drops in 150ml tonic for a worthwhile flavour
Cold teaish background needs dealing with too.

I reckon on boiling down to about 15% volume, making up to 70% alcohol and adding some lemon peel extract as the next step

I need a woody note in there, not sure what will fit the bill though, maybe actual wood?, as in oak powder.

Back