Hop Back as a filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
So we're in the process of completing our new horizontal rig. We just purchased a Blichmann HopRocket and Therminator plate chiller.

We have not yet purchased a trub/hop filter. From what I've read, you need to do a whirlpool to effectively use Blichmann's HopBlocker. I've considered this option. I have a stir-blade thing that hooks to an electric drill to introduce oxygen into the chilled wort right before pitching the yeast, but I'm thinking this wouldn't work because you don't want to introduce oxygen while the wort is still hot right? I don't really have any other way to do a whirlpool.

I've read fairly decent reviews of something called a HopStopper and was thinking about getting something like that, no whirlpool needed as far as I know.

I know I need something to filter out the trub while using a plate chiller, but I guess my question is will the HopRocket suffice, or do I need to buy something separate? Anyone out there have experience using a hop back?

Are you using a pump or gravity? I have a Therminator and Hopblocker and honestly I haven’t used the hopblocker since switching my kettles over a year ago. All I do is give my wort and good swirl at flameout and then let it sit 10-15 minutes before pumping it through the therminator. I have done this with 35 gallon batches and never had a clog. I slow my wort flow to about 40-50% and when I am done I have a good cone of trub and hops in the middle of my kettle. If you are using gravity to move your wort I would spend the money on a pump before any filter/hop back. But that’s just me.

As for the stir-blade is it SS or plastic. I thought about using one of the plastic ones used for wine making but I would be concerned about it deforming or melting. If it's SS I don’t see the problem with it. I mean I would run my drill on high speed or anything but a few seconds on low speed just to get the wort spinning is all you really need.

We have 2 pumps currently. I was thinking of getting the Hop Stopper from Innovative Home Brew Solutions and use that in combination with a quick whirlpool. We have already purchased the HopRocket to use as a Hop Back as well as the Therminator. We did not get the HopBlocker from Blichmann as I've seen more negative opinions on it that positive.

The stir blade we have is stainless except for the blades which are plastic. I'm not sure if it'll hold up to boiling temps or not, but luckily I have an extra blade that we slightly broke, so I can take the 2 good blades off and put the broken one on to test it.

Back