Hop Additions Below Boiling Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
I'm considering trying some new flameout hopping techniques(new for me, I mean). I've read many posts about brewers who chill to temps below boiling, and then add their steeping hops. There are many posts about doing this, but I'm curious about what danger this poses(excessive hotbreak, DMS, ect..). Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Hot break shouldn't be an issue. All the "you have to chill as rapidly as possible" myths are just that- myths. No-chill brewing at home, and commercial brewing practice (whirlpool with an enormous amount of wort staying hot for a very long time during knockout) show how ridiculous the myth is.

You either add hops at flameout and steep them that way, where they'll add some minor bitterness, or if you add them <185 it should prevent any additional hop isomerization. Either way, an extended ~30 min hot steep is helpful- Only boil hops are bittering hops, add the rest of your hops during your steep (with or without whirlpool, but if you care about trub getting into the fermenter you can do both at the same time).

Latest posts

Back