Honeywell vr8200a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryis007

Reaction score
Hey folks,

First post, longtime reader...

Wondering if anybody knows how I could wire an indicator light/buzzer into my Honeywell valve to let me know if the gas blew out and was auto shutoff. I don't want my flame to go out and not know and no I don't have an ignition sequence!

Valve Honeywell vr8200a
Pilot Honeywell q314a4586
Thermocouple Honeywell 24" q390a1046

Anybody?

Building my control panel for a brutus 10 clone and I think this would be a neat feature to have...

Just to make it more clear: I am looking to put a warning light on my control panel that will turn on/off if my pilot goes out. Would the only way to do this be to somehow put a wire in the thermocouple to valve connection and tapping into that flame controlled circuit connect to a little LED? Is their an easier way Im missing here? Is it possible?

Thanks!

"Could I somehow wire into the thermocouple?"

Not unless there's something that will kick up the DC milli-volts generated to whatever a light needs to glow. And a practical way to do it and still keep the same gas valve.

Cob up a Mercury flame sensor or a Baso Pilot operated switch. You'll need to keep the existing pilot burner and thermocouple. Rube Goldberg the Merc flame sensor or the extra thermocouple that you'll attach to the Baso switch. Somehow, to the pilot burner. So, that the pilot flame will impinge on it. Or buy a pilot burner with more flame outlets, if need be. Pilot goes out, switch opens or closes, depending on what you buy. Wire the terminals to a clangston, siren or flashing disco light, if so desired. By the time you buy the add on's. You could have ordered the valve with electronic ignition...How about this. You're using some kind of temp controller to fire the boiler. Right? If the controller has the capability and a low event set of contacts. Hook your light or other gadgets needed to get power to the light, to it. If the boiler temp drops below set point, due to wind blowing out the pilot, or running out of barbecue tank fuel. The switch will open or close, depending on the arrangement. I use the same valve that's in your rig. I haven't had a pilot failure. However, I use NG and brew indoors. I stay near the boilers when they're fired, anyway. But, if you're going to play Bingo or clean the house, while brewing. You may consider a back up siren and phone dialer. Just in case.

Back