Honey nut brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loudawg7777

Reaction score
Going to try something new. I have ingredients for a honey nut brownale
7lbs amber malt extract
1lb honey malt
2lb caramel barley
2oz goldings hops
Wyeast 1968 liquid yeast
Here's the kicker...
I took 3lbs of cherries halved, put them in a jar with 10L of marshmallow flavored vodka(Smirnoff). Gonna let that sit for 2 weeks to let the vodka draw out the flavor and color of the cherries. In the meantime, in about a week I'll brew the ingredients above for the honey nut ale, ferment, then when I rack to secondary, I'll strain the marshmallow cherry vodka juice and add it to the secondary. How does that sound? Should I add more yeast to secondary? Or am I good as is? Let's have some opinions on this because I've never done this before and I'm shooting from the hip, but it sounds like it'll be quite a flavor for this ale...

I'd recommend cutting way back on the caramel malt. 1 lb max. And I mean max. Seriously, go with 1/2 to 3/4 lb. The extract already has a significant portion of caramel/crystal malt in it. Also, you'd be best off mashing the honey malt. It has no diastatic power of it's own, so you'd have to to a partial mash with a pound of 2-row or pale malt. The cherries sound great, but why not add them to the secondary, not just the vodka? No need to add more yeast.

I'm putting the cherries in a container with the vodka for a couple weeks per advice from my local brew shop owner who has been in the business for 25 years. I'm poking around to get feedback. You guys think it'll F up the end result? I trust the guy, but still respect the popular opinion. I can do a partial mash, and plan on doing a secondary, just looking for a wild mix nobody has yet. I'll take your advice and do a partial mash, cut back on the caramel, and no yeast. Still going with the marshmallow vodka, and cherry mix though. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Back