Honey IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snisup

Reaction score
I came up with this recipe going on the knowledge I have gained from 2 whole 5G kit batches:) and extensive HBT forum reading. I'm sure it's been done before but I brewed this on Friday and it's happily fermenting right now. Just looking for some feedback on the recipe itself and to see if anyone has done anything similar.
Here it is:

8oz Caramel 40L
7lbs Extra Pale LME (3.5lbs@15m)
2lbs Buckwheat Honey (Flameout)
1oz Columbus (60mins)
.5oz Citra (10mins)
.5oz Citra (5mins)
1oz Citra (Flameout)
Dry Hop 2oz Citra (7 days)
WLP001 (Washed/1L Starter)

OG 1.061
Est. 63IBU

The wort smelled and tasted great and the Buckwheat Honey added nice color and flavor to the mix. Can't wait to dry hop this baby.
:cheers:

That sounds pretty tasty. I've done similar in that I've used honey malt, but I've never used actual honey in a beer. Let us know how it turns out. Cheers! :mug:

I came up with this recipe going on the knowledge I have gained from 2 whole 5G kit batches:) and extensive HBT forum reading. I'm sure it's been done before but I brewed this on Friday and it's happily fermenting right now. Just looking for some feedback on the recipe itself and to see if anyone has done anything similar.
Here it is:

8oz Caramel 40L
7lbs Extra Pale LME (3.5lbs@15m)
2lbs Buckwheat Honey (Flameout)
1oz Columbus (60mins)
.5oz Citra (10mins)
.5oz Citra (5mins)
1oz Citra (Flameout)
Dry Hop 2oz Citra (7 days)
WLP001 (Washed/1L Starter)

OG 1.061
Est. 63IBU

The wort smelled and tasted great and the Buckwheat Honey added nice color and flavor to the mix. Can't wait to dry hop this baby.
:cheers:

You will get more honey flavor by adding honey malt, actual honey doesn't hold its flavor much through fermentation.

Back