Honey in an oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobE

Reaction score
I'm about to make my second oatmeal stout but I was thinking about adding about 1lb of honey to increase the alcohol content. Any thoughts? How much could the taste change?

RobE said:
I'm about to make my second oatmeal stout but I was thinking about adding about 1lb of honey to increase the alcohol content. Any thoughts? How much could the taste change?

In the boil I don't think it changes flavor much, if at all. I used to add honey to the boil and now I'm wondering if I'm just wasting money by not just using sucrose instead. I'm curious about what others think too. I've read you have to heat it only to like 170, then add after bulk of fermentation is done for any real flavor.

Thanks. I'm brewing right now. I'll throw it in and see how it tastes in about a month

I just brewed a strong honey ale and added 3lbs with about five minutes left to boil. I just had the finished product yesterday and it smelled like honey which i expected but also tasted sort of like caramel. I doubt this is from the honey though.

I think adding honey will dry up the beer some, Honey is almost 100% fermentable so it will increase the alchohol, however in my experience i can usually taste it in there as well.

I agree that it might be a waste of money and will make your stout more dry like an Irish. The honey flavor will be covered in a stout. Why not use sugar or DME.

Back