Homer Hopper Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausofstrauss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a hopper made from a Home Depot "Homer" bucket for a while and finally got to getting the first post done to introduce it. I'll have more posts that will show how to make each part and then also have some CAD models and templates to use to make your own.

Here are the advantages of this hopper design:
  • Uses a commonly available bucket
  • When you are done, you can put a lid on the bucket and have it all self-contained
  • Low dust design while milling
  • Design utilizes the entire roller area, instead of just a small section like with funnel based hoppers
  • With the mill inside the bucket, it allows the bucket to sit flat and gives more stability
  • Allows for using a power drill to drive it
  • Holds an entire grain bill for most 5 gallon batches (19-20 lbs)
  • Mills that grain in just under 2 minutes*
  • Low cost
  • No shaking involved to get grain to rollers

It's worked out great for me, since it holds about 20 pounds of grain. That's about the max my BIAB system can handle.

Now that I got the first post done, the subsequent posts should come easier. Anyway, come check out my DIY. I'll update this post with links to the additional info.

Homer Hopper Introduction

All printout templates are currently available in a zip file at the bottom of the introduction post. Note that they all have a "calibration" square printed on them so that you can measure them once printed and you will know if your printer is printing at the correct aspect ratio.

Part 2: Homer Bucket Modifications

Part 3: Wooden Base

Part 4: Mill Box

Part 5: Hopper Panels

Part 6: Final Assembly

007a-Homer-Hopper-Entire-Setup-150x150.jpg

007a-Homer-Hopper-CAD-Model-150x150.jpg

007a-Homer-Hopper-Into-the-Hopper-150x150.jpg

Hopper in action

Easy clean up with compressed air!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the second update showing how to modify the bucket. Basically it is cutting the window in the bottom, the mounting holes for the Monster Mill and a side access window to attach the drill to the mill.

I've got the printable template link on there so you can transfer to your bucket.

Part 2: Homer Bucket Modifications

The next post is for the wooden base.

007b-Homer-Hopper-bottom-opening-150x150.jpg

007b-Homer-Hopper-bottom-window-template-150x150.jpg

subscribed. wish I saw this good idea before I built a wooden Hopper for my crankanstein. can you post a quick link to the wooden insert CAD in the meantime cause this is a perfect weekend project?

big fan of this DIY. Lookin' forward to the whole writeup. i'm curious how you sealed up the side of the bucket where the MM sticks out.

subscribed. wish I saw this good idea before I built a wooden Hopper for my crankanstein. can you post a quick link to the wooden insert CAD in the meantime cause this is a perfect weekend project?

Glad to hear you like it. I'm traveling today, but I will post links to the rest of the drawings late tonight. Hope that's soon enough.

big fan of this DIY. Lookin' forward to the whole writeup. i'm curious how you sealed up the side of the bucket where the MM sticks out.

I haven't posted the info on the actual hopper yet, but it seals for the most part. It is a drop in hopper. Some grain inevitably passes by, but probably no more than most mill setups. If you look at the first post on the blog, I've got pictures of that piece.

OK, I went ahead and put all of the PDF templates into a zip file. It's currently located on the Introduction post:

Homer Hopper Introduction

All printout templates are currently available in a zip file at the bottom of the blog post.

Without having a post to look at, this should at least get you going. Keep in mind that every bucket has it's own unique shape, so make sure you cut at maximum material on the hopper panels and then sand them to shape to fit your bucket.

Good luck!

I'll try to get the next post up next week, but I've got a weekend of mulch, a new kitchen sink and part one of my seemingly annual garage reorganization.

Here is the third update showing how to make the wooden base. This is probably the easiest part of the entire project. You are basically going to cut out the circular shape, drill through holes for the screws and cut a window for the grain to fall through. A router or drill press will be helpful to create the counterbores on the underside.

Again, a link to the zip file containing all prints is on the introduction post and for now, on each post.

Part 3: Wooden Base

The next post is for the mill box.

007c-Homer_Hopper_hopper_base_window_template_image-150x150.png

007c-Homer_Hopper_window_predrill_far-150x150.jpg

007c-Homer_Hopper_base_with_c-sink-150x150.jpg

This is nice. Ordering a JSP mill soon and want to build my own hopper.

The JSP mill might be really tight on fitting in the bucket. It appears to be about 11" long, whereas the MM2 is about 7" long.

I think you'll probably have to cut windows on both sides of the bucket for clearance to the mill and custom tailor the hopper to the JSP mill.

Would anyone with a JSP mill be able to provide dimensions for me? If you are, let me know and I'll let you know what I'd need dimensions of.

I designed the hopper assembly parametrically, so (I think) I should be able to come up with an alternate design for that mill.

I'll be ordering my JSP soon. If this doesn't work I have a plan B that should be very DIY worthy and pretty trick too.

Here is the 4th update to create the mill box. This is the base that the hopper panels will attach to. You'll notice that I removed the thumb screws on the MM2 and used recessed set screws instead.

Part 4: Mill Box

007d-Homer_Hopper_mill_box_top_assembly-150x150.jpg

007d-Homer_Hopper_mill_box_sides_2-150x150.jpg

007d-Homer_Hopper_mill_box_top_view-150x150.jpg

The next post will be for the panels and it will almost be done.

Ok, 6th part of the project. This is the final assembly and fit of the hopper assembly. You are basically customizing the fit of YOUR hopper to YOUR bucket. All buckets are not created equal.

Part 6: Final Assembly

The last post will basically be moving the CAD files to a new location. I maybe was too ambitious to suggest videos. I've got the footage, but have lacked the time to edit and make them pretty. I'm brewing this weekend, so I'm hoping to also get a video of the cleanup. It's pretty straightforward if you have an air compressor.

007a-Homer-Hopper-Components-150x150.jpg

007b-Homer-Hopper-front-view-150x150.jpg

007a-Homer-Hopper-View-4-150x150.jpg

007c-Homer_Hopper_hopper_base_no_c-sink-150x150.jpg

007f-Homer_hopper_shaping-150x150.jpg

007f-Homer_hopper_panel_fit-150x150.jpg

007f-Homer_hopper_base_seated-150x150.jpg

Great write up I'm working on mine I got the diy malt mill from Austin homebrew supply, hoping I can make this setup work

I don't think the templates will actually work for me since I'm using a different mill so I used cardboard and scissors to fit and trim and make my own

20140622_151526.jpg

20140622_151517.jpg

20140622_151505.jpg

20140622_152324.jpg

Back