Homemade PBW Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, can I swap the oxygen clean for the oxiclean versatile? Thanks

Unscented Oxy-Clean or equivalent dollar store brand, WalMart, Seventh Generation, etc......

Methinks that "sodium percarbonate" is the active ingredient you seek.

Have you read through the thread?
'Cause it's all in there!... :D

I'm sure this was covered. But how much are you guys using per 5 gallons to clean with?

About 1oz per gallon it looks like. I just tried it on 70+ bottles, let them soak over night and it worked well. If you have a cup that came with your oxygen cleaner, about every line is about 1 weighed ounce.

I'm sure this was covered. But how much are you guys using per 5 gallons to clean with?

I put around 2 tablespoons in a sink full.

I put about the same in when I fill my kegs half full of water.

It's the small scoop that came with my oxiclean versatile small container with the twist lid. It's the same size that came with the costco oxo brite too. 2 or 2 1/2 of those. I don't think it's critical.

The stronger would probably require less time on a soak.

We may have to start looking for a replacement for the seventh generation dishwasher detergent powder. I went to Walmart and Target yesterday and neither had any, just the individual packs. Luckily Amazon came through for me but it makes me wonder if it may be getting phased out

We may have to start looking for a replacement for the seventh generation dishwasher detergent powder. I went to Walmart and Target yesterday and neither had any, just the individual packs. Luckily Amazon came through for me but it makes me wonder if it may be getting phased out

Ask them, they said they'd love to her from you! :D

https://www.seventhgeneration.com/

Amazon says that it's an Amazon exclusive. There's a possibility that Amazon will be the only place to get it.

It's an add on item for less than $6. It's a good price.

Or you can just buy $25 worth of that stuff and get the free shipping. It would make a lot of this stuff!

Found the 45oz box at Ralphs, just FYI.

I mix one 3ish lb container of oxyclean free with 1 3ish lb box of 7th gen. I mix them well, don't add anything else. I've been using this for years, it cleans and rinses just as well as PBW. My water is moderately hard. TSP or metasilicate might be a chelator or sequestering agent or something like that, but the citric acid in the 7th gen seems to be enough to work just as well for me for that purpose. Love this stuff.

Anybody know if these two are the same product?
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I've been using the second one for a few years now for this concoction. Purchased some last week and it arrived as the first pic. Not sure if it's the same.

Anyone have a good online (or in central MA) source for generic oxiclean free alternative? I've checked most of the dollar stores/similar retailers in the area and haven't found anything and just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to oxiclean free. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a good online (or in central MA) source for generic oxiclean free alternative? I've checked most of the dollar stores/similar retailers in the area and haven't found anything and just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to oxiclean free. Thanks!

Do you have any Kroger affiliated supermarkets? The Kroger brand oxygen cleaner is about half the price of Oxiclean....

Do you have any Kroger affiliated supermarkets? The Kroger brand oxygen cleaner is about half the price of Oxiclean....

Unfortunately no, none of those stores around here. I've checked the local dollar stores, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, etc - nothing. No Cosco local, just BJs which only sells Oxi Versatile (not free) and nothing else that I can find that would be a good substitute locally.

I priced out the recipe buying everything from amazon/ebay in bulk and it comes out to ~$2/# if I make ~60#, $2.50/# if I make 30# which isn't terrible, but I might need some friends to split it with.

Unfortunately no, none of those stores around here. I've checked the local dollar stores, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, etc - nothing. No Cosco local, just BJs which only sells Oxi Versatile (not free) and nothing else that I can find that would be a good substitute locally.

I priced out the recipe buying everything from amazon/ebay in bulk and it comes out to ~$2/# if I make ~60#, $2.50/# if I make 30# which isn't terrible, but I might need some friends to split it with.

Walmart has a powdered oxy branded by ALL .. 3.25 lb. Can't recall the price. Made by Sun who used to sell the 96 oz tub at Wally's. Free & clear.

I don't know how far away you would be from a Benny's store. They are a small, regional chain of household/hardware/misc stores covering eastern Connecticut, Rhode Island, and southeast Massachusetts. They sell a one pound plastic container of "Oxy-All" for $1.25. The stuff works fine and is a generic percarbonate powder.

http://hellobennys.com/locations/

Thanks, that seems to be pretty heavy on the Seventh Generation, using 75 ounces whereas previously we only used 40 ounces. What prompted the change?

Could you break down the ratios as you did in that post, comparing them to the ideal range?

Thanks, that seems to be pretty heavy on the Seventh Generation, using 75 ounces whereas previously we only used 40 ounces. What prompted the change?

Could you break down the ratios as you did in that post, comparing them to the ideal range?

I don't think he's saying to use 75 ounces, just that the 75 ounce box is what people are purchasing. You'll have 35 ounces left over.

I don't think he's saying to use 75 ounces, just that the 75 ounce box is what people are purchasing. You'll have 35 ounces left over.

Ahh, yes, I believe you are correct. If you do the math, that's the only way the cost per pound matches up. Just wasn't very clear from the description.

I've updated the new recipe with all the ratios. We fall a bit outside the ideal ranges now, but I don't feel it is a deal breaker.

As TexasWine mentioned you can use less of the 7th Generation and hit the numbers, but I'd rather just use the whole box and be done with it.

Updated Recipe.

Thanks to all who tried out the new products! :mug:

all Oxi Laundry Booster, Free Clear, 52 Ounce This is available on Amazon for $7.99 each, but I can buy it locally for $5.99 each.

Red Devil 0265 TSP 90 Heavy Duty Cleaner, 4-Pounds

Seventh Generation, Free & Clear Auto Dish Powder 75 Ounces

pbw-68014.png

Let me get this straight.

Instead of using 96 oz of Oxygen cleaner we use 104 ounces.

Still use the entire TSP/90.

Instead of using 40 oz of Seventh Generation Powdered Dishwashing Detergent we use 75oz.

Do I have this straight?

I think I'll just eyeball modifying my current batch that I used a couple pounds of so far. A little more of oxo brite and a lot more of the dishwashing detergent.

40 pages of thread so my apologies for not reading it all. Are people having more success with this than oxiclean? I saw this is for hard water but I'm just curious is the formula works better one softer water.

I've updated the new recipe with all the ratios. We fall a bit outside the ideal ranges now, but I don't feel it is a deal breaker.

As TexasWine mentioned you can use less of the 7th Generation and hit the numbers, but I'd rather just use the whole box and be done with it.

In my experience, with softer water, you can dial down the dish detergent a bit and be very effective.

Back