Homemade cleaner + bleach ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awfers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed a number of cleaning products that include bleach these days. I use them to clean the surfaces / areas that won't touch the beer but will have equipment around or on it.

Does anyone have any info on how effective these are at sanitizing surfaces ?

And, how could I replicate this "on the cheap"? Use odourless soap mixed with bleach and water ?

Thanks,
Awfers

I've never understood the idea behind sanitizing down the entire kitchen during a brewday. It either comes in contact with the beer or it doesn't.

My brewday I sanitize the following: 1 brew bucket with lid, an airlock. Everything else either comes in contact with the wort either pre- or during boil, or gets sanitized by boiling wort (for example I sanitize my CFC by running hot wort through it.

That being said, I'm sure you can build a bleach-based sanitizing solution (there is a podcast with Charlie Bamforth that outlines a recipe).

Thanks for info, will check out the podcast on google.

Why do I do it? I like a clean environment when brewing. Better safe than sorry in my book :)

Cheers,
Awfers

Bleach is perfect good at sanitizing surfaces, but smells and tastes like bleach (crap). This is why most brewers use Star San. I don't have stats handy of course, but a browse through the *many* threads discussing this anecdotally shows that Star San has a lot of users.

Star San works well, is no rinse, and is cheap given the concentration / use per bottle. There's really no serious reason to fiddle with inferior solutions.

Back