Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can hydrate the final bread to what ever you want when making sour dough bread. I do a 100% hydration on the actual starter, makes recipe formulation easy as you are adding equal part flour and water.

@applescrap, I would use more flour to play it safe. The couple times I have used my bannetons I had some sticking.

Yes, I see that the sourdoughs are like 70 plus percent hydration. I dont think mine is like that but after a week or so in fridge, become similar. Do I work flour in while shaping, not really sure where or how to start, I think Ill just have to flour the banneton well and hope for the best.

Yes flour it heavily with rice flour and flour (50/50 mix).

Kit came. The banneton is for a 2 pound dough loaf. Proud I could tell with a look confirmed by 10 in dimension. Honestly looks like 3 would fit. Lame wont win any quality awards but I think it's usable enough and good design. Scraper is flexible and thin, I like it. Used dough hook and seemed more easy than wooden spoon. Isnt going to win any quality awards either but as long as it stays together and works then Ill be happy. Overall, while not the most rugged tools they should work great and were a good deal.

Hey I paid 20, you got 12? That's a no brainer. Haha I am super pumped up to slash some spiral design bread.[emoji110][emoji3][emoji1303]
And I just checked and price has gone up $8 and is now $20. Glad I grabbed it when I did!

Hey I paid 20, you got 12? That's a no brainer. Haha I am super pumped up to slash some spiral design bread.[emoji110][emoji3][emoji1303]

Oh! I never mentioned in the original thread that it was $11.95 when I ordered it. I probably should have stated the price and people might have jumped on it quickly like I did. Even for $20 it's a pretty good deal.

A little over floured for first time, dang this thing is huge. Thats a four pound loaf, took over an hour to cook and is ginormous. Need some tips on how to cut. Liked using the lame. It got huge better slashing needed. Didnt get a great pic, but its huge. Would like the smaller bannetons for 1 pound loaf
20200314_102513.jpeg
20200314_102432.jpeg
Screenshot_20200314-200610_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20200314-200627_Gallery.jpeg

This thing wouldnt even soften overnight in a bag. And huge slices. It was as tall as glass cake dish holder on counter. Filled it. I have a decent knife is there any other way to cut it than grunting it out. I might have to go back to rolls.

Sourdough day! One 50% whole wheat with APF and BF. The other one 50% rye with APF and BF. Our first go with a high rye percent . It didn’t behave in line with our other sourdoughs. High rye content appears to have a learning curve.

Attachments

• AB1A8F3E-B6B0-485B-B154-B03B2DA1C0FD.jpeg
    AB1A8F3E-B6B0-485B-B154-B03B2DA1C0FD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
As discussed on this thread quite a bit, ground malt is diastatic malt powder. It makes enzymatic action happen. Softens the crumb, darkens outside of loaf, and adds a touch of sweetness. Tsp per cup of flour or a bit less.
I wonder how ground malt would work for flour, guess it might get soupy fast.

As discussed on this thread quite a bit, ground malt is diastatic malt powder. It makes enzymatic action happen. Softens the crumb, darkens outside of loaf, and adds a touch of sweetness. Tsp per cup of flour or a bit less.
Was thinking more like 100% malt, if you could not get regular bread flour. Wondering if the enzymes would break down the starch too much that the dough would lose it's structure and turn soupy.

I put too much in pancakes and it has an off taste iirc. Someone on this thread said they can taste it and after that feel I can too. So I dont use it anymore. Would be better to brew then use spent I am guessing. Curious what others have to say. My vote its plausible but not likely to work well in either taste or for some other reason.

When I use it, it's at 0.1%, and that works out to less than 1/8 tsp per pound of flour. Even at that rate, the effect can be dramatic. I wouldn't go anywhere near a tsp per cup. But British home bakers are fond of multi grain flour with some flaked malted wheat in it, so maybe it's possible to use more. But not 100%. You know how quickly your grain converts and dissolves away in your mash! In fact, just the slightly higher amylase level in rye flour compared to wheat flour is what makes it impossible not to have a problematically sticky rye dough which actually converts and liquifies in the oven before the starch can gelatinize and set the crumb, unless the amylase is controlled by the acidity of a sourdough. And finally, barley does not even have the suite of proteins needed to form a gluten structure. So just brew with the malt.

Yeah, I came to that amount looking for a rich brown color with long fridge ferments. Will have to give less a try next time. King arthur calls for 1/2 to 1 tsp per 3 cups and modernist pantry 1tsp per cup. Maybe I was using 1 tsp per 2 cups, cant recall. Really wanting that rich brown color in my pizza after dough sat 10 days.
When I use it, it's at 0.1%, and that works out to less than 1/8 tsp per pound of flour. Even at that rate, the effect can be dramatic. I wouldn't go anywhere near a tsp per cup. But British home bakers are fond of multi grain flour with some flaked malted wheat in it, so maybe it's possible to use more. But not 100%. You know how quickly your grain converts and dissolves away in your mash! In fact, just the slightly higher amylase level in rye flour compared to wheat flour is what makes it impossible not to have a problematically sticky rye dough which actually converts and liquifies in the oven before the starch can gelatinize and set the crumb, unless the amylase is controlled by the acidity of a sourdough. And finally, barley does not even have the suite of proteins needed to form a gluten structure. So just brew with the malt.

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in the 2300+ posts of this thread, but the search function of this app is less than reliable so I'll just ask: anyone making their own flour from spent grains? If so, what differences do I need to be aware of from store bought white flour?

Thanks in advance!

Not exactly what you are looking for but a few posts back Robert posted some information regarding the use of malted grain in place of wheat for flour. I think Spent grain would be different from unmashed grain but would still be lacking the basic requirements to be used as a 100% replacements for white flour.

I have seen posts where people use spent grain in bread but I think it is used as an adjunct.

Spent grain bread (Treberbrot in German) does use it as a addition, like other soaked grains or seeds you might add. It can be pretty rough and chewy as is, but you can also dry it in the oven and grind it into a flour. There are plenty of resources on making this kind of bread. You don't want the spent grain, on a dry basis, to make up probably more than 10% of total flour weight, but it can add nice malty flavor, and lots of fiber, and the crumb seems (in my limited experience) to be especially moist. In tough times, it might be worth saving your spent grains to make your flour go farther (must be how this started.) You can at least claim your homebrew hobby is helping to keep your family fed. Unless your pooch already has dibs on it for cookies. Furry family then.

Anyone have any black market bread flour? I am having trouble finding it in stores around here.

Same here. Stupid a-holes that don’t even make bread are hoarding. I’m down to enough flour for 1 loaf.

On the plus side my starter is back to full strength and I made a loaf last night.

I looked on Amazon because that is where I ordered 7 lb repacks of All Trumps last time and they are out of all wheat flour it appears. I ordered some AT from Brick Oven Baker. They are out of a lot of stuff too, including 50 lb AT, but they have 7 and 12 lb repacks.

Made some more cinnamon bread because it disappeared, and instead of a second loaf made rolls. Not like a real cinnamon roll but like cinnamon bread, less sugar, in roll form. They are good and will make nice pbjs for the kids. Also made hot dog buns. Just little dough balls pressed and rolled up. They were the perfect size. Not to much bunnage, just a nice little holder. Had flat sides like I wanted so I could finish them by frying in a little butter. Everything was spread with canola oil so no mess and cooked at 350, led to little browning.
20200320_125151.jpeg
20200320_123104.jpeg
20200320_120839.jpeg
20200320_093213.jpeg
20200320_104252.jpeg

I'll give you a starting point and you can adjust from there. Its better with more sugar, but we don't want to jack the kids up to much. Also, I use the lean recipe, and it would be better or at least pleasantly different with a dough that had sugar, butter, buttermilk, whatever in it. I really like the lean dough heartiness with the sweetness. Also this does not have an egg wash. I think the egg wash would be a worthwhile upgrade.

For a batch involving around 3c of flour, a 1.5 to 2 pound loaf, I roll it or simply press it out using canola oil. I do this for mess and it makes a nice loaf. Butter would work. Spread it out to a quarter inch all the way around rectangle shape. Then its 1/4c to 1/3c sugar as a base to start with and 1.5 tsp of cinnamon. You'll see its plenty. I dont mix them anymore for laziness. I sprinkle evenly from measuring cup, the sugar on the dough. Then lightly sprinkle the cinnamon evenly. Cinnamon is key.

That is simply organic ceylon cinnamon that iirc won the atk taste test. But dang I loved that kirkland saigon cinnamon. Then roll the loaf up starting at short side. Make sure its not sticking before all this or it will stick when rolling. Roll and pull and stretch ends to keep square, another trick, and then pinch seem at end. Tuck ends under and bake as you would, buttered greased pan or for me parchment. Seem side down. I have baked at 350 and 375 and I like the 375 better I think.

For cinnamon rolls that same two pounds gets a spread a little thinner. Then it gets a full stick of softened butter spread on it, maybe more adjusted for size. Then it gets a full cup or more of sugar mixed with start with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon. Spread the cup of sugar cinnamon mix over butter and roll. Cut as thick as you like them, I like width of cake pan as a starting place. Put them together in pan and rise and bake. Flip upside down shortly after they come out and frost later. I have seen recipes that call for less sugar inside roll and then they are placed on a bed of sugar. They are baked and flipped out with a gooey carmel oozing all over them. Anyone do that? Best of luck. Final note that gorgeous bread was made with organic flour.
How much cinnamon and other ingredients do you add? I’m assuming some sugar too. I may try something like this.

I'm the kind of person who works on one thing and tries to master it before moving on to another thing, so I make a helluva lot of pounds of pain au levain, with the occasional miche or dark rye thrown in.

I like this one.

What I'm calling my "Type 80" flour is a custom blend of Central Milling's Organic Beehive (protein - 10.0-10.5%; Ash - 0.56%), and King Arthur's Whole Wheat, the WW sifted through No. 30 then No. 50 sieve. I get an 87% extraction on this whole wheat.

The Beehive is more what I'm accustomed to in French flours, which are lower in protein typically (also, they are measured differently - our 10.5% is more like their 12-12.5, because ours is on the basis of 14% moisture).

My blend is 62% of the Beehive & 38% of the sifted WW. This gives me a nice "bise" flour, a kid of midrange between white and whole wheat, great baseline imo for rustic breads.

81% "farine bise" or "Type 80"
19% King Arthur Whole Wheat
7.5% wheat germ
2% salt
85% hydration
2-stage levain build
lower levain inoculation of 15%
lower dough and fermentation temp than I usually do - 75F.

I rarely knead or machine mix any longer, at least not for wheat based doughs. I depend on folding to develop dough strength. Lower levain percentage and lower temps to put the brakes on fermentation a bit, given the whole grain in the dough. I prefer long and slow ferments anyway, much like underpitching in brewing, for its flavor developments.

Cloche bake per Tartine at 500F x 20 min., 450 x 10 min., lid off, I go a whole 30 min. longer as I like to take the crust pretty deep.

3-23-20 levain ++ WW.jpg
3-23-20 levain ++ WW (1).jpg

Back