Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dang those croissants are a thing of absolute beauty. How can you possibly bite into one? LOL!

It was real tough ;)

I had to stop eating them because I knew all that butter would have upset my stomach.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Home

Part whole wheat

1397344819432.jpg

4 little sourdoughs. 2 with egg wash. Does it matter how long they rest before you cut them? Also, what varible can make the bubbles in the bread bigger? Thanks.

I slash just before putting it in the oven, as far as I know moisture is the main driving factor in the open crumb, my loaf today was very moist and slumped before I put it in but I ended up with a very airy crumb, YMMV:mug:

IMG_2670.jpg

Anyone have an opinion on the ULTRAGRAIN flour at Costco? I like baking with it but can't find anything definitive about whether it is actually any healthier or not.

Anyone have an opinion on the ULTRAGRAIN flour at Costco? I like baking with it but can't find anything definitive about whether it is actually any healthier or not.

Haven't used it, but I will keep an eye out next time I go. I'm on my second bag of this since it showed up there a few months ago, and it's some of the better flour I've used. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397594864.194469.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pizza stone

That's seems like it's probably the seam on the bottom of the loaf isn't tight enough to hold it together.

I tried the tartine method last night. I wont be posting pictures of my utter failure. The flattest loaf I've ever made. It actually fell a little. I feel like I'm missing some important info in the timing if the rises and how much to work the dough. I cut the flat loaf open and it did in fact have the best looking holes I've ever made. Some how I feel like I'm trying to work with 100% hydration.

It will cone with time. A proofing basket and baker works very well w the tartine method. I also proof with it seam down to help it all stay together.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

That's seems like it's probably the seam on the bottom of the loaf isn't tight enough to hold it together.

I tried the tartine method last night. I wont be posting pictures of my utter failure. The flattest loaf I've ever made. It actually fell a little. I feel like I'm missing some important info in the timing if the rises and how much to work the dough. I cut the flat loaf open and it did in fact have the best looking holes I've ever made. Some how I feel like I'm trying to work with 100% hydration.

You have to develop more strength in the dough. Also, when you pull and turn the dough try to do it in the same direction, so that the gluten stays aligned. This helps develop strength as well. Because of this it has to be by feel.. you can't go by a simple time frame. If your dough is tearing at all it's not ready. Also you have to get your levain supercharged before you even attempt to use this method;feeding regularly at least 3 days before you try and bake with it. If you still feel you are struggling with the method dial back on the hydration level by 5% until you feel comfortable with it, then try to go back up. Worst case add a little yeast after the autolyse. And try to make bread every weekend. I've been baking Tartine bread twice a week for the last 6 weeks and I've had a few flatties as well.

You have to develop more strength in the dough. Also, when you pull and turn the dough try to do it in the same direction, so that the gluten stays aligned. This helps develop strength as well. Because of this it has to be by feel.. you can't go by a simple time frame. If your dough is tearing at all it's not ready. Also you have to get your levain supercharged before you even attempt to use this method;feeding regularly at least 3 days before you try and bake with it. If you still feel you are struggling with the method dial back on the hydration level by 5% until you feel comfortable with it, then try to go back up. Worst case add a little yeast after the autolyse. And try to make bread every weekend. I've been baking Tartine bread twice a week for the last 6 weeks and I've had a few flatties as well.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually fed my starter for 5 days before I got a chance to bake with it. I still have a few loaves (7) more to bake. I'm sure they aren't ready yet. The few rye ones are like snot, not much holding them together. The whole wheat one are a lot better just too wet and not enough gluten to hold them together. I will say I'm liking the way the dough feels. I just wish I knew how to fix what I have proofing.

I just finished eating My loaf of shame. It wasn't half bad.

Carl Griffith's Starter just arrived. I ordered it back when I wasn't sure if my starter was going to be usable. I'll hold on to it for a spare. It's pretty cool that they do that.

First Tartine loaf that kinda looked like a loaf. Now I got to figure out what to do with the slimy Rye I still need to bake.

dscn6238-62763.jpg

Making croissant sticky buns today. Just had a baby so maybe photos later...

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back