Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Saturday. L'épis. présenté sur une baguette

2014-04-05 13.34.58.jpg

2014-04-05 13.38.59.jpg

I'm going to have to buy that book. I kind of have the impression that that book never leaves your side.

Actually, I haven't opened it in a LONG time. Once you memorize the method, it's just go go go bake bake bake. The link I posted above from the martha stewart website actually describes the whole method. Still a nice read, the method is key and can be used with many variations. The croissants in there are amazing, might be worth the price alone.

Actually, I haven't opened it in a LONG time. Once you memorize the method, it's just go go go bake bake bake. The link I posted above from the martha stewart website actually describes the whole method. Still a nice read, the method is key and can be used with many variations. The croissants in there are amazing, might be worth the price alone.

I'll check the link out. I've been pretty much winging it so far. I do love bread. I add the book to my wish list. Hoping to bake again this weekend. I've got lots of fresh maple syrup to experiment with.

So I check that link out. I've been wondering if you could do a really large batch using the same method. I'm trying to cut down on the dishes I have to do by doing multiple loafs in the same bowl. So If I was to say make 9 loafs worth in one of those bread proofing boxes. Obviously folding the whole thing all together using the method. After it's proofed slice out how ever much I need for a loaf and let it proof again. Is this doable?

So I check that link out. I've been wondering if you could do a really large batch using the same method. I'm trying to cut down on the dishes I have to do by doing multiple loafs in the same bowl. So If I was to say make 9 loafs worth in one of those bread proofing boxes. Obviously folding the whole thing all together using the method. After it's proofed slice out how ever much I need for a loaf and let it proof again. Is this doable?

here's a great video i found of Chad Robertson doing a demo and shaping his loaves from one giant batch

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIIjV6s-0cA[/ame]

Wow, just read through this entire thread. What a talented bunch we have here - beer, cheese, bread, smokers, sausage, wine, cider - I've barely scratched the surface!

I make 100% whole sprouted red winter wheat/spent grains bread in my two Zojirushi breadmakers. I also like to do the "almost no knead" bread. It gets some of that sourdough tangy artificially, from beer, vinegar, and a little Parm cheese in the loaf, along with the 24 hour room-temp rest. I need to make some of that, we're out.

Wow, just read through this entire thread. What a talented bunch we have here - beer, cheese, bread, smokers, sausage, wine, cider - I've barely scratched the surface!

I make 100% whole sprouted red winter wheat/spent grains bread in my two Zojirushi breadmakers. I also like to do the "almost no knead" bread. It gets some of that sourdough tangy artificially, from beer, vinegar, and a little Parm cheese in the loaf, along with the 24 hour room-temp rest. I need to make some of that, we're out.

I've got a Zojirushi, that thing is awesome. I've had it for 5 years now and it is still just as good as the day I bought it. All of their things are quality.

Fully agree, bottlebomber - one of these machines is AT LEAST 8 years old. The other one was bought in Dec. 2012. They are the best bread machines I've ever used, and I've had a few others.

I like them for quick & dirty sandwich loaves for KOTC's lunches.

Throw the stuff in, punch Start, 3.5 hours later - bread magically appears!

ETA - curiosity got the better of me - the older machine was purchased in March of '01. Wow, time flies!

I like that they make a standard sized and shaped loaf of bread instead of those weird bread pillars.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use our Zojirushi mostly on the dough setting. Throw everything in and let it run. When it's complete I separate into two and hand smooth each out into a sheet, fold on itself twice and place in a loaf pan for a second rise before baking. Takes 5 minutes to throw the ingredients in, 5 minutes to shape the 2 loaves, a minute to turn on the oven and only a minute to remove the bread for cooling. This gets the basics done so that I have more time for making specialty breads and BREWING BEER!

EXACTLY! :) Which is why most of the time I don't even bother with the dough setting, I DO check it during the last rise to make sure the pan is filling evenly though - have had a few lopsided loaves.

Need to make a couple today!

I use the tartine recipe. A little more involved. I like the use of the leaven, it makes for a rich, flavorful, flakey crumb.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

I use the tartine recipe. A little more involved. I like the use of the leaven, it makes for a rich, flavorful, flakey crumb.

I was thinking of making the Tartine croissants this weekend as well, but I think you guys just put me over the edge.

I just ground up 9 dehydrator trays of hard red winter wheat. They were done germinating yesterday, I dehydrated in the Excaliber for 4 hours, then into the Vitamix dry grains container til made into a nice flour.

Now I'm gonna start one loaf in the Zojirushi and one almost no-knead loaf. I'll see if I can remember to take pictures! Both will have spent grains in them too.

Better crumb, more moisture. Crunchier crust and softer interior. This was one of the best loaves I've ever had. Anywhere.

Been busy tonight making rolls for my brew clubs home brew competition tomorrow. Got to keep the judges happy.
We have white, wheat/rye spent grain and whole wheat spent grain rolls.
These will accompany the venison meatballs I made last night.

Dan6310

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397267209.440361.jpg

Been busy tonight making rolls for my brew clubs home brew competition tomorrow. Got to keep the judges happy.

Dan6310

Very nice!

Dan6310

And WHERE do I sign up for THAT judging gig? DANG you're spoiling them! :rockin:

Dan6310

SSBC?
Awesome rolls btw...

Latest posts

Back