Homebrewing for Beginners Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSU_BREW

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the hobby and HBT. I just brewed my first beer last week (Northern Brewer Dead Ringer IPA) and I can't get enough. I've seen a lot of posts on this forum and on reddit.com/r/homebrewing from new brewers asking for help.

I put together this Homebrewing for Beginners Guide with the hopes that new brewers will find it useful as a starting off point. I'm not very experienced my self so I'm always looking for feedback to improve the guide as well. happy Brewing!:mug:

Seems like a sales pitch for Northern and Midwest, frankly I have ordered from Northern, I purchased all my original gear and kits from them, and I'm pretty happy, except that shipping is expensive and takes too long to arrive for the money. I will likely purchase again in the future from Northern, however I'm looking to spread the wealth a bit and try a few other places. I was originally interested in Midwest also, but after attempting to navigate around their website I became frustrated with page load times etc... The site seems to have issues, it's a big turn off. Recently I discovered Austin Homebrew Supplies, and their site is very easy to get around, and they have quite an extensive line of kits... So anyways I purchases a couple econo kits, and a stir bar I needed, and I'm interested to see how things work out with them. I like your for beginners pictorial, it's very professionally done, the graphics are nice. I'm sure some noobs will learn something from it. Are you drinking that IPA you brewed yet?

Thanks for the input brew, I didn't mean for it to be a sales pitch at all, I'm new and the guide was for beginners so I wanted to keep it short. From my research those seemed to be two of the most used online retailers, although I should include Austin as I've seen them quite a bit. My starter kit was from Midwest and the ingredient kit from northern so I was going off of my own experience.

I have not tried the ipa yet as it has only been fermenting for about a week.

Pretty good but it does seem to look like your advertising a bit. Lol

To be honest I gave it a quick once over and stopped after the 4 ingredients needed to make beer. Should be malt, water, yeast and hops. C02 and alcohol has nothing to do with ingredients to make beer.

Your text said it bit the pictorial didnt.

Im a tough review, but it was good.

I don't have any load issues with midwests' site. You do have to clean out extranious stuff from your disc drive at least once a week though. Go to control panel & click on "free up disc space". then follow the promts. also clearing out history,etc helps a lot too. The computer runs/processes a bit faster when you keep these things cleared out.See if that helps. Also,certain days of the week or month see them with a lot of traffic & the sites' server can take only so much.
With midwest,you have to be precise with what you're looking for from the drop down menues in that black strip at the top. I also use their Fed-Ex home delivery option. It's the cheapest one save for USPS,& it's faster than UPS. My stuff gets here quick & in better condition than the others. Save for these blasted back to back snow storms in these parts.

Pretty good but it does seem to look like your advertising a bit. Lol

To be honest I gave it a quick once over and stopped after the 4 ingredients needed to make beer. Should be malt, water, yeast and hops. C02 and alcohol has nothing to do with ingredients to make beer.

Your text said it bit the pictorial didnt.

Im a tough review, but it was good.

I've taken out those first graphic slides. They were found online and I thought it gave a nice graphic overview before getting into the process. The graphic didn't do a great job of showing the output as CO2 and alcohol so I have removed them.

When I have time I'll add Austin in there to avoid too much bias for northern and Midwest.

Latest posts

Back