Homebrew Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im new to homebrewing overall I haven't even bought equipment yet. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips or good experience with first time brew kits. Plz help! It'd be nice if you could give the name of the brew kit and where you ordered/bought the kit. And any pros and cons of the kit.

Brewer's Best kits seem to work nicely. I've made the witbier, and I've had students make the cream ale, American amber, Oktoberfest, robust porter, koelsch, IPA, and summer ale. They've all turned out well. The instructions are clear and the kits have all of the ingredients you need.

Well I've only made one... but the Midwest Irish red ale kit was LOVED by every one I have given. It wasn't very expensive, but the shipping kind of was... I am far away though. Anyway, it was fermented a bit warm... temp is set to 78 but it gets a bit warmer of course. All my friends and even some of their friends said it was REALLY good... I don't really like beer much so I think it tastes less bad then most what I've tried... they say its acquired, still don't get it though...

Glad every one liked it.

As a fellow noob I've been very happy with the kits from Austin Homebrew. I've done five of their kits so far.

The Summer Saison was my first, it went well except for the predictable stall at 1.030 but did fine once I brought the temp up. Cannonball stout was simple and has a great taste already but I need to let it age some more. Noel stout has turned out great as well.

The kits are complete, well organized, with clear instructions. Shipping is very reasonable and quick.

Equipment kit. I bought the most basic equipment kit from Brewers Best Kits. That was 7 years ago. I still use nearly all of it and it didn't contain a bunch of stuff I didn't need. I have added more fermenters and an autosiphon and have broken a racking cane but otherwise it is all in use.

Recipe kits. Lots to choose from, Brewers Best Kits, Austin Homebrew, Midwest, Norther Brewer all make good kits. Brewers Best may have been sitting on a shelf for a while and you may get one with stale ingredients but the rest have great turnover and are likely to be really fresh. All are pretty easy to make. One thing that I haven't seen in their instruction is the temperature you should ferment at. Cool is the word. My ales start at 62 to 64 degrees for a few days and then are allowed to warm to low 70's. Those early kits I made where I started fermenting at 72, well lets say I'm glad they are gone. Most of the kit instruction say to ferment for a week. That is too short. Minimum of 10 days and longer is better. I've never left a beer in the primary fermenter longer than 9 weeks but I could have.

Notice that I haven't mentioned a secondary nor a carboy? I bought one. I used it twice. Now it just sits, taking up space. My plastic buckets work just fine, plus they have handles to carry them, a big opening so they are easy to clean, and won't shatter if I drop one. At some point I will have to replace them as they can get scratched which can be a place to harbor bacteria that can ruin a batch but.....it's been 7 years and my original bucket is still in use.

Carboys may become necessary in your future if you make beers that are going to be racked onto fruit or oak, or for beers like a barleywine that needs aged for months. You'll know by then if you need on.

Here's a few sites with starter kits. Here's the one at midwest that has options that can be added on; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html
And from Northern Brewer; http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html
From AHS,a build your own kit; http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=12738
And from morebeer; http://morebeer.com/products/personal-home-brewery-kit-1-standard.html
These should get you started in the right direction...

Back