Homebrew contests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
I just recently entered my old ale into a home brew competition. It was my second beer ever, and my first contest ever, thus I have no idea what a good score is. It scored a 31-32 average, and I didn't place in the top three in my flight. Is this score below avg, avg, above avg? I am just curious...with that score...is it a beer that people would describe as good? Any feedback would be cool...thanks!:)

Outstanding

(45 - 50): World-class example of style

Excellent​

(38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning

Very Good​

(30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws

Good​

(21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws

Fair​

(14 - 20): Off flavors, aromas or major style deficiencies

Problematic (0 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate

Rhoobarb said:
Was it the Drunk Monk Challenge?;) Take a look at this thread! Might help you out. You did well for your second beer ever!

Yeah it was...I entered for kicks. Honestly, I am lucky that the beer I entered was even as good as it was. I brewed it from a recipe I made up and didn't know what "style" it would even fit into as I was brewing it. All in all, I am glad that I did, because having an excuse to go the the DMC was enough to enter!:tank:

Back