Homebrew competition - bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyrd01

Reaction score
Is it ok for me to use bottles from Bass that have "Bass" written on them? I know they can't have labels but what about where the name is actually a part of the bottle?

Thanks.

Not too sure on that one, you can probably email someone involved to find out. There's a local competition out here where I'm at and I have a Dubbel that's just getting better every week problem is they're in 500ml swing tops....

Bass might be uncommon enough that they wont allow it.

Most will allow Sam Adam marked bottles because Sam Adams is really a glass retailer that includes free beer.

It should say in the comp rules. I have sent some odd bottles to comps before. I got "cool bottles" in the comments section of the score sheet.

I emailed the coordinator, here's the reply I got:

"We'd prefer dark, unmarked bottles but we'll take any entry. It's up to the judges to decide whether to knock off points for the container."

Since the last three bottles I have of the beer I want to enter are in Bass bottles I'm just going to enter them and hope for the best.

If any BJCP judge takes points off for the condition of the bottle, you need to email the BJCP and let them know. They're supposed to judge the beer, not the bottle.

Yeah, I thought his reply was a little vague. To me it's as simple as yes or no. Just give me an answer dude!

It usually states it in the contest rules, I've seen some contests for example specifically mention whether or not Sam Adam's bottles, with their markings were welcome.

Established contests usually have stuff like that sorted out, often with new contests, put on by inexperienced folks, these little details don't usually occur to them. So emailing them was a good idea, betcha from now on the rules will be a little more clear on that.

Yeah, I thought his reply was a little vague. To me it's as simple as yes or no. Just give me an answer dude!

Like I said in my previous post in case you missed it, established contests usually have stuff like that sorted out, often with new contests, put on by inexperienced folks, these little details don't usually occur to them, until they run into the issue.

His answer is vague because they're probably saying to themselves "oh **** we didn't think of that." And since the contest is already in play, they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Betcha from now on the rules if they do this again, will be a little more clear on that subject.

If I enter beer in a competition (which I plan on doing soon for the first time, heck the fee is five bucks and three bottles of beer) and they take marks off because I send in Sam Adams bottles with my own labels on them I will be seriously upset. You're being judged on the beer you brew, not what kind of containers the beer is delivered to the judges' glasses in - right?

If I enter beer in a competition (which I plan on doing soon for the first time, heck the fee is five bucks and three bottles of beer) and they take marks off because I send in Sam Adams bottles with my own labels on them I will be seriously upset. You're being judged on the beer you brew, not what kind of containers the beer is delivered to the judges' glasses in - right?

Actually if you send them with labels on them, depending on the contest, you could be disqualified, or evaluated, but NOT judged or awarded prizes. Just about every beer contest SPECIFICALLY STATES that bottles, and even caps have NO DISTINGUISHING MARKINGS on them. You are usually told to download (now that most contests are online) a very plain specific label that you must attach in a certain way (usually with a single rubber band.) And you're also told to blank out any codes on the caps with a black marker.

They want all bottles to look the same, so no judge could conceivable recognize the beer being judge.....Even though usually stewards control that behind the scenes.

Here's the bottle rules for the 2013 NHC.

1. What kind of bottle is required?

BEER, MEAD, and CIDER entries must be in bottles that hold a minimum of 10 ounces in volume, and that will fit in a standard case box slot. The measurements of a standard case box slot are 2.75 inches long x 2.75 inches wide x 9 inches high (7 cm x 7 cm x 22.9 cm). Bottles may be of any color and must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than competition entry label. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker.

Bottles with Grölsch-type swing tops and 22 oz Bomber bottles are not allowed.

Corked bottles and odd-shaped bottles are acceptable as long as they can fit in a standard case box slot (2.75 inches L x 2.75 in W x 9 in H; 7 cm x 7 cm x 22.9 cm). Bottles with raised lettering are acceptable if they fit in a standard case box slot.

Bottles not meeting the above requirements will be disqualified.

Here's another one, some midwinter comp in Millwauke.

Each entry will consist two (2) 10 to 12 ounce capped bottles (no exceptions) that are void of all identifying information, including labels. Printed caps are allowed, but must be blacked out completely.

Anything other than 10 to 12 ounce capped bottles will not qualify for the competition. Should a bottle be submitted outside of this size range it will not be judged. If entry fees have been submitted with the entries they will be returned to the participant minus any transaction fees.

Bottles will not be returned to entrants for any reason.

Brown glass bottles are preferred; however, green and clear glass will be accepted. Swing top and corked bottles will be accepted.

Completed bottle labels must be submitted with all entries, and can be printed directly from the entry website. Bottle labels should be attached to bottles with a rubber band only; glue and/or tape are unacceptable.

Please fill out the entry information completely. Be meticulous about noting any special ingredients that must be specified per the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines. Failure to note such ingredients may impact the judges' scoring of your entry.

Brewers are not limited to one entry in each category, but may only enter each subcategory once. With the exception of: 16E, 20A, 21A, 22B & C, 23, 25C, 26C, 28B and 28D. With the stipulation that the beer/mead/cider entered be unique by use of a different base style, spice or fruit additive. Example: Only 1 entry each of 2a, 2b and 2c are acceptable (3 entries). Or - Multiple entries of Category 20A are acceptable if 1 was a cherry stout and the other entry was a cherry pale ale or blueberry stout.

Bottles must be free of labels or other easily identified marks. Re-used Commercial bottles with embossed logos are allowed but discouraged.

Failure to submit entries properly will NOT exclude them from being judged or evaluated, however it may no longer be eligible for competition prizes.

As you can see, rules differ from contests to contests....

Well, that is good info. I will try to get my hands on the rules, although they'll probably be in Spanish. I live in Puerto Rico, and have no idea if they'll be following the official BJCP guidelines. Thanks Revvy.

Latest posts

Back